YouTube Subscription Model Arrives This Week

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
I have neither Netflix nor Hulu Plus, and will not be signing up for something like this. However, I can understand why they would make this move. My concern is over how much of the content on YouTube now will be migrated to this scheme in the coming months and years. The fact that it has so much free content is a part of what made YouTube so immediately powerful. Too much of it has to be paid for and YouTube could end up hurting itself.

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
april fools was months ago. . .
Seriously though, the people making money will still be retarded VBloggers. Nobody is going to make "TV Shows", at least nothing of any quality.

rocknrollz

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
But channels like freddiew, corridor digital, ERB, and vsauce could really benefit from more money to help keep their channels up.

Gundam288

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
I will not pay for this, if they start restricting videos/channels then I will move on to something else, like nico nico douga which is now in english. At least it's something new.

tului

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
I'd pay 1.99 a month to never see those damn "must watch for 5 seconds" ads at the start of videos. Especially as an American expat living in Mexico. I get beloved patriot ads constantly. I realize it's using my IP address, but the fact that my account is American, doesn't have dago selected as the language(and if there was an option to never show Spanish crap I'd select it), they should show me ads I can at least understand. Hell, now that I think about it, I'd pay a bit more to never hear hablo taco loco again.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
and then we'll see occasionally updated torrents of all the contents of a popular channel.
Channel paid subscriptions make sense, helps make Youtube more of a business for businesses

itchyisvegeta

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
As long as the ones who posted the videos get the choices to put their channels in the subscription service, and not leave it up to youtube, then this is pretty cool; because it will be more competition for netflix and hulu. Competition is good. If google/youtube picks the channels, we are screwed.

therabiddeer

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
Netflix, Hulu and Amazon offer professional quality content that costs a lot of money. Youtube offers people with a webcam and SOMETIMES a handheld. These are different services and I would rather YouTube stay as it is and let these people try to migrate something onto Netflix/hulu/amazon instead.

garrick

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2007
There are some people who make some youtube content private and then charge people a fee to gain access to "premium" content.
I guess this is a more legit method of doing the same thing.

Gundam288

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
@danwat1234, yes but it doesn't get rid of the ad videos that play before or during the video you are trying to watch.
If youtube wanted to charge $2 a month to get rid of ALL ads, I'm pretty sure people would jump for it, I know I would really think about it. But per channel is pretty much not worth it as there are so many of them.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I find it hard to believe that this model will be successful. However, if any company can pull it off it is Google. I suppose that if I could pay $1.99/month to get access to all of the content (and it was of higher quality as mentioned in the article) AND it got rid of all advertisements on the site, then I'd consider it. As mentioned by tului (in a somewhat racist way) it might be worth it just to get rid of the 5-20 second ads before every video (does anyone even watch those?).

Status
Not open for further replies.