z506 cables issue

ryukashin

Estimable
Jan 30, 2015
I recently purchased the z506 speakers for my pc, they arrived today and when setting them up everything was fine until i noticed that the speakers come with a black and orange audio jack along with a green audio jack cable, the motherboard im using doesnt appear to have black and orange ports for the cables to connect to, it does have a green one though, i used the green one on its own and all the speakers are working fine, my question is though, since im not using the black and orange cables that came with the speakers, am i missing out on quality or performance?

Relevant specs:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-HD3

Solution
The single audio output from your motherboard will simulate 4.0/5.1/7.1 audio rather than having true surround sound outputs. You would need to add a sound card to your system to get true surround sound. If it currently sounds good enough, then I wouldn't worry about it.

-Wolf sends
The single audio output from your motherboard will simulate 4.0/5.1/7.1 audio rather than having true surround sound outputs. You would need to add a sound card to your system to get true surround sound. If it currently sounds good enough, then I wouldn't worry about it.

-Wolf sends

Solution

parthtrivedi

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012
Yes the cables those orange and black holes are to connect the system in 5.1.

By connecting on green all sounds are transmitted through one wire and one port, it is not able to provide you with the surround sound experience, for eg. if a horse is running from left to right, then on 5.1 you will be able to distinguish the sound coming from left speaker to the right speaker.

Since you don't have those ports on your MoBo you will need an pci sound card.\
something like this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102062

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829265001.

Hope this helps.
Good luck.

P.S don't get stuck on the stupid !@s example. lol

ryukashin

Estimable
Jan 30, 2015

Thanks!, i was worried that i wasnt goin to get what i had paid for, but the speakers sound great the way they are, maybe further down the line ill invest in one but for the time being its grand, thanks for the clarification

The green cable carries left and right audio channels, so you would be able to distinguish the sound going from left to right.

5.1 adds a center speaker and two rear (left + right) speakers. So if a horse were running a circle around you, you would be able to distinguish it gong from front left, to front center, to front right, to rear right, to rear left.

The .1 is just a subwoofer, which you should also be getting with the green wire since the subwoofer just adds some oomph to the lower frequency sounds.

parthtrivedi

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012

Thanks for the detailed explaination.
Cheers.

ryukashin

Estimable
Jan 30, 2015

how do i find out if my motherboard is compatible with the sound card or if it will even fit?

Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-HD3 - Motherboard Specifications

Your motherboard has:

1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x16 (PCIEX16)
1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x4 (PCIEX4)
1 x PCI Express x1 slot
1 x PCI slot

The PCI sound card would install into the PCI slot
The PCI-Ex1 sound card would install into either the PCI-Ex1 slot or the PCI-Ex16 (x4) slot. I would note that depending on what graphics card you have installed (if any) the PCI-Ex1 expansion slot may be covered by your graphics card cooling shroud.

-Wolf sends

ryukashin

Estimable
Jan 30, 2015

I have a Radeon R9 sapphire 290x graphics card installed already

TRENDING THREADS