Zelda Fans Create Stunning Majora's Mask HD Trailer

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

This is waaaay badass and all, but doesn't Nintendo have a reputation for pulling the plug on these sorts of things? Cease and Desist orders and stuff?

What they should be doing is embracing this sort of thing, and looking at it as, "Hey, this is what the fans REALLY want... let's make this instead."

And a few posts above, I wanted to just say, 2D Metroid for LIFE! LOL.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]jacekring[/nom]And in 70 or so years when your 20 you would be like, "this is so dumb, where are they going to release that holodeck? I wish I was born in 50 years so I could play on the holodeck". Then in 140 years you'd be like, "This holodeck is crappy, I only get 150,000p resolution. I wish they could work all those bugs out that brain game inplant. Sigh, oh how I wish I had been born 50 years later." And then 210 years from now you'd be all like, "Yey, I got my brain implant.....'must buy iPhone 93'...god dambit I hate those brain comercials..."[/citation]

honestly no... i personally cant see a reason to go past 1080p in tvs unless you get a absolutely massive tv of over 100 inches. im only mentioning that so you know the way i am with tech.

and i also don't think we will ever go to holodeck... i believe that we will decode the brain well enough, and have sensors sensitive enough to pick up brain waves well enough that thinking of the action you want to take will make you take it in game.

kind of imagine a head mount display, and a chair. the chair has loops you put your hands into, incase the game gets to intense and you actually move instead of just think. i think thats where tech will go eventually.

i don't believe we will ever get matrix or ghost in the shell style just plug our brains in, not because its not possible, but just because of the huge outcry that would come from it. so instead of a... direct link, we will get indirect links. those will be applied to games, and researched on games soon if not already.

but the thing is, i dont see the tech being mainstream for at least another 50-100 years, i would love it to happen in my lifetime, but i just cant see it happening.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]jacekring[/nom]Did you read my post by chance before you replied to it? I did mention nueral implants in 210 years from now. But I believe that will come after the holodeck, the holodeck is a simpler technology in my opinion. Holograms re-enforced by energy based force fields, I believe we will have that in 100-150 years from now.And quite frankly I think the holodeck will be the thing, until like I said direct neural implants aka Matrix style. If we do go the route of a head mount display that reads brain waves, we will all become 500 pound veggies. Instead of going to work, we will take control of a remote control robot while we control it from the comfort of our plush couches. That's not a future I would like to live in, so I'm voting for holodecks which will actually help you exercise.Imagine for a moment, if you enjoy rock climbing (or just want to try it). You create a virtual mountain you can scale in a holodeck without any danger of falling off but with all the benefits of the workout that comes with it. You want to fly a space ship, say something like X3, you could do that in a holodeck safely. You want to practice for American Ninja Warrior, just create your own custom obstacle course or duplicate one from the show to practice. I think a holodeck would be the ultimate in entertainment and gaming.[/citation]

first off we would need a hologram, which has yet to be shown even close to working... sure, we have illusionary holograms, which require smoke and projectors, to the more recent Hatsune Miku concert.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTXO7KGHtjI

you than need a force field technology that just simulates actual tactile feel.

now you also have to take into account the shear cost of owning one. because the room you would need would be great, and you have to take into account for your own movement. so some type of advanced treadmill would be required, the only one i can think of costs a good 20000$ and it barely does the job, at least convincingly enough.

however my way of reading our thoughts, that is already a real thing, granted its limited to moving a mouse cursor up and down but its getting there.

the sensors, at least once the product goes mass production, should be somewhat cheap, it may be expensive, but one they hit a certain point, it would be a 1 time purchase product, or once every 10-20 years.

a head mount good enough for this, is already lab tested about 7 years ago, oled at 1000 dpi to simulate a large 1080p tv were already made, they just never came to market, so an adiquit head mount is already possible...

now, lets go with the potato con you suggested. yea, its possible that people wouldnt want to move. but lets go with the robot one you suggested.

the only reason a company doesn't have robots do everything is because robots cost a crap ton, and they isnt about to change ANY time soon. the reason there are burger flippers in a burger king is because a robot would cost more to get, and maintain, than having the humans do the job themselves. sure some people may go the android route, but lets also look at a positive, people who are older, or people who are crippled beyond their bodies being useful could live a fufilling and outgoing life.

and a downside to holodeck would be humanity would end. seriously, every man on this planet would get 2-3 jobs just to afford their own holodeck, and use it primarily as a sex machine, personally, i would rather live in a fantasy world and be powerful, but that's just me, most would get it for their own personal harem.

now if you want to go to a further reason... there are people like my who have pain everywhere, for me the worst of it is in my wrists, but i cant stand for long because of my back and foot pain, moving around much causes my knees to hurt, and at times my fingers give out, making it nearly impossible to lift the weight of a soda. i know most people dont have my crappy genetics, but most of what i said applies to most people, but only 1 of the pains at a time. so tech wise, would i rather use my mind, or a body that is really a failure? for me its my mind, if my body felt no pain, i may consider the holodeck as a more desirable option. but if i had to pick a tech that i cant wait for it would be a brain interface, mainly because there are so many things i want to do on a computer that may be possible if i didnt need to know programs in their intimate details, and all i had to do was think it and so it shall be.

now don't get me wrong, i'm not apposed to exercise, for most applications, the holodeck would be a far more desirable thing than mine, mainly because of the feel, an aspect of what i want lacks, but again for me, the mind over my crappy body.

Status
Not open for further replies.