Solved! ZenBook 14 UX425 (11th Gen Intel) VS Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon Gen 8

avb2

Commendable
Jun 21, 2018
Hi there!

Today the latest Asus Zenbook 13.3" went on sale for 899$ (Amazon; 1TB NVME, 16GB LPDDR4, Intel 11th CPU, Thunderbolt 4, HDMI 2.0b...)
Asus claims the battery should last 18 hours.

I didn't pick one. I spent the entire day going over some laptops I wrote down a while ago. Crazy, I know.
I can't decide between ZenBook 14 UX425 (11th Gen Intel) to the Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon Gen 2 and I think you may be able to assist :)

I wasn't able to find the UX425 on Amazon (with 16GB RAM and 512GB/1TB NVME SSD) but I assume it should cost 900/1000$ during sale, as the 13.3" went for 899$ today.
It looks like the Asus is superior in terms of pure specs (make sense as it was released after the X1C Gen 8) and it cost less.
The Thinkpad has 10th generation CPU, Thunderbolt 3, DDR3, unknown larger screen to body ratio and it cost about 200-300$ extra.
Side note: I don't understand why the X1C "Build Your Own" cost over 500$, compared to the one listed next to it (20U9005MUS ). I selected the 1220$ (20U9005MUS ) and upgraded its part to be identical to the 1199.99$) and the difference was 530$ for the same specs! Crazy, I know.

What is the advantage of getting the Thinkpad (which is pricer and one generation behind) over the Zenbook?
I would greatly appreciate your help :)

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpad-x1/X1-Carbon-Gen-8-/p/22TP2X1X1C8
https://www.asus.com/product-compare?ProductID=14524,14986,14885&LevelId=Laptops-For-Home

Last edited:
Solution
Zenbook is good for the price, Thinkpads used to have great construction but the newer models I find to be not much better than anything else and they seem to have an issue with the screens cracking. We bought X1 and the T models at work and have had several with scracked screens come in, for such a short time of using them, that is not a good sign. From what I can tell they were not cracked through user error but seem to be a weak design that is easier to break than usual.
Zenbook is good for the price, Thinkpads used to have great construction but the newer models I find to be not much better than anything else and they seem to have an issue with the screens cracking. We bought X1 and the T models at work and have had several with scracked screens come in, for such a short time of using them, that is not a good sign. From what I can tell they were not cracked through user error but seem to be a weak design that is easier to break than usual.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS