ZyXEL Intros $250 Dual-Band 450Mbps N Router

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruceOTB

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Abdullahg[/nom]My internet sucks. Using this router will just make it suck on more than 1 computer.[/citation]
Then it's not for you.

pbrigido

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
I think I'll wait for the next generation of 802.11. My wireless N experiences have been somewhat disappointing. I'm not too impressed with the speed and range, so to spend $250 on this doesn't seem to practical for me.

CaedenV

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
[citation][nom]pbrigido[/nom]I think I'll wait for the next generation of 802.11. My wireless N experiences have been somewhat disappointing. I'm not too impressed with the speed and range, so to spend $250 on this doesn't seem to practical for me.[/citation]
With wireless N you get what you pay for. There are some crappy 2.4s on the market, and some marginal 5s out there as well (though most 5s are good). However I have seen some great wireless N devices as well. $250 may be a bit much, but spending $75 will get you something much more pleasant than wireless G.
Of course it will not speed up slow internet, so it defeats the point to get anything other than wireless G unless you have a speedy connection to boot (or if you transfer files over the network a lot).

pbrigido

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
[citation][nom]caedenv[/nom]With wireless N you get what you pay for. There are some crappy 2.4s on the market, and some marginal 5s out there as well (though most 5s are good). However I have seen some great wireless N devices as well. $250 may be a bit much, but spending $75 will get you something much more pleasant than wireless G.Of course it will not speed up slow internet, so it defeats the point to get anything other than wireless G unless you have a speedy connection to boot (or if you transfer files over the network a lot).[/citation]

That is for sure! I think I tried 4 different N routers until I settled on one that worked best for me. I did find a huge difference in the models tested..,so I stuck with the least sucky of the group. :)

festerovic

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
^ My experience with Netgear products has been a suck fest. Dlink will always be my #1.

Would love to see a Toms router roundup one day.

baddad

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2006
Well my experience has been nothing but good with Netgear. As far as Toms roundups go, it seems to me, half the cattle is missing when they do one.

Pawessum16

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2010
My question is this: Will it improve speeds in an apartment complex with 30 other access points in the area? My old wireless N router at the moment can't even keep up with my internet speeds.

G

Ah, a nice advertisement, thinly-veiled as news.

Even better, you came out and said it was a complete rip-off of another companies router.

Even mo' better: There are comparable ASUS routers with DD-WRT/Tomato compatibility for one-third the price.

G

I love my E4200, although the Zyxel SmartRange technology sounds interesting in terms of potentially improving long distance performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.