Solved! 1.6GHz Core i7-720QM Processor

iammaiden

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
Hi there,
As I have no knowledge of processors, I need some help with what is probably a silly question. I have recently purchased a laptop with the i7-720QM Processor. My understanding is that it has an in built turbo which allows it to operate at a faster speed.

So my question is, does the processor itself decide when to run 1.6GHz or at a higher speed with the 'turbo'? And if 'yes', in which instances is it likely to happen? The reason I ask is because I am finding it quite slow and very difficult to run nhl.com to watch live games. BTW, my laptop has 4GB of ram, if that helps.

Thanks in advance for your help/ advice.

Solution
If the only problem your having is watching steaming video, then its more much more likely an issue with your internet connection or maybe your graphics card/chip. go to task manager > performance and see how much CPU gets used when you load up a live stream. if its not hitting 100% then its not a CPU problem.

scudst0rm

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2008
If the only problem your having is watching steaming video, then its more much more likely an issue with your internet connection or maybe your graphics card/chip. go to task manager > performance and see how much CPU gets used when you load up a live stream. if its not hitting 100% then its not a CPU problem.

Solution