100 Mbps Could Finally Be Possible on DSL Lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

c_for

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2010
Great news for us here in Canada where DSL is the only option for unlimited bandwidth services. Especially now that netflix is here.

jrharbort

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
Technology based on a 19th century invention, possibly becoming the future of internet communications?

WHAT.

And here I am, sitting on my 30Mbps cable connection. I seriously never thought DSL could ever be improved, but I am proven wrong. :x

jlpoole

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
Certainly takes the wind out of the sails for the Google Fiber Project; now 1,000 cities who applied for and will not not be selected for Google Fiber have a very handsome alternative.

palladin9479

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
Ahh but DSL has a limit to how far away from the telco you can be. Fiber can be run for much longer distances and only needs a small local relay to hit a whole area.

nforce4max

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
It is amazing how much they are now getting out of 60 year old post World War 2 coax and decades old fiber only to charge a premium for it. I highly resent the idea of bandwidth caps.

warmon6

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
[citation][nom]pakardbell486dx2[/nom]just let dsl die already geez[/citation]

No no, DSL just fine for the average joe. It's dial up thats needs to die (yes i still know to many people still on it.)

terror112

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2006
DSL is fine were I live, I get 7Mb/s constant speed at unlimited bandwidth. Although I like the Idea of having a 100Mb/s connection!

Shadow703793

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
[citation][nom]warmon6[/nom]No no, DSL just fine for the average joe. It's dial up thats needs to die (yes i still know to many people still on it.)[/citation]
+1. Don't forget IE6!

Anyways, I'm really pissed that they haven't provided this kind of speeds in the US much earlier. There is no real technical reason that prevented them. On to Fiber I say! Much more reliable and more future proof. Japan, China, India, Korea is far ahead of the US in terms of Fiber adoption.

G

[citation][nom]terror112[/nom]DSL is fine were I live, I get 7Mb/s constant speed at unlimited bandwidth. Although I like the Idea of having a 100Mb/s connection![/citation]

I'm with you. I have an 8mb connection (terrible upload though). But, my DSL is extremely dependable. Cable is about 1.25x faster here, but twice as expensive as DSL if you don't carry their horrid cable TV service. The internet at my buddy's house goes out every time a thunderstorm rolls through. He calls and they are "upgrading the lines" in his area, lol....

ikefu

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
One can only hope that this technology gets accepted and takes a huge chunk out of the monopoly juggernauts that are Time Warner Cable and Comcast.

Long live the small town DSL Co-op! Competition is the only thing that truly benefits a consumer and we desperately need more competition in the broadband ISP market.

rbarone69

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
Infrastruture costs (and the people to maintain it) is the most expensive for these companies. The reason why FiOS isnt everywhere is because of return on the massive upfront investment and political pressure from cable companies.

This will be a very effective temporary bandaid until fiber is fully strung and/or over air bandwidth increases. Just remember 100mb/s seems like more than enough now... I thought my 286 16mhz with a 40mb HD would be enough computing power for 10+ years! (especially b/c it had a turbo button)

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
It's nice news for the millions that are stuck using DSL in North America, but honestly, we should all be investing towards replacing the lines with fiber optic cables. Competition over in Japan/South Korea between various ISPs have brought down the price of 1Gbps connections down to what we pay for a 15/30Mbps connection here in North America. Japanese users also have a very generous usage/month that is enough to satisfy even the heaviest downloaders. All this because companies had the foresight to invest in superior technology.

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Great News! Cable in my area is ridiculously over priced even if you subscribe to Comcast's terrible TV(which I do not, so the cost is even higher) leaving me with 1.5mb DSL from ATT, which BTW has the worst customer service next to Best Buy I have ever encountered in my life(End Rant). Now only if ithis will be adopted and priced reasonably which is a snowballs chance in Hati.

I also agree with the others here saying that we are behind and we need to heavily invest into our fiber system, it is the future and we are lagging as with so many other things.

funky_monkey

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2010
ADSL accounts for more than half of world's broadband subscribers..."just let ADSL die"...I just wish people would stop posting idiotic, ill informed one sentence rants...and VDSL2 is perfectly capable of 100Mbit (as long as the loop length requirements are met).
I have tried multiple cable providers and they are a far cry from the stable 30Mbit down / 3 Mbit up, 10 EURO/month no cap connection that I have now...the end.

Travis Beane

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
I can get 25Mbps (though 16 average) on my cable line.
My ISP (Shaw Canada) has fibre lines, but only shares those with governments and business.

The theoretical bandwidth of fibre optic lines is downright amazing, and could last us far longer than these copper lines. The investment needs to be made. I'm certainly not paying $60/month for a 20 year old chunk of copper cable, am I?

xybercoke

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
When you say "We" should invest in fiber, You realize its hundreds of millions if not billions of dollars, the "Telco" has to invest into these fibre lines. and to add it to existing houses that already have underground lines run to them, its a very expensive process to replace all these "working" copper lines with new fiber lines.

Wolygon

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
Yes and to think that us here in Australia are paying $2000 per person ($43 Billion) to get optic fibre to every home. And get guess what speeds, 100Mbps.

Labor knows how to waste our money over here.

Status
Not open for further replies.