$1000 Keyboard Features A Screen on Every Key

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morgan3rd

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
[citation][nom]seriousazn[/nom]why not just have an entire oled slate with touchscreen capabilities? seems much more customizable that way...[/citation]

So you can touch type? I dunno I can't really imagine there being too many uses for this keyboard. But I wouldn't be surprised if they could sell 100-500 of them.

BallistaMan

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
[citation][nom]seriousazn[/nom]why not just have an entire oled slate with touchscreen capabilities? seems much more customizable that way...[/citation]
Thus far it has typically felt less natural to type on a single touchscreen as opposed to physical keys. Smartphones can sometimes get away with it, but try typing on something larger, say, an iPad, and you'll miss the tactile response.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
I wouldnt buy ever...

Though it would be cool for gaming. Like a grenade icon on the grenade button or a flashlight on the flashlight button. But still, nowhere in hell Id pay a grand for a keyboard.

wintermint

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
I'll make do with a decent $20-40 keyboard... if I need light, then I'll just make sure either the lights are turned on, or the monitor is bright enough, or I'll just get a freakin lamp!

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
I'd pay it if it had the 'natural' layout, and perfect feel. But, the standard layout is obsolete and difficult, and no mention is made of the feel of the keys, so it's hard to see any value in this, besides bragging rights.

Poisoner

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
I just can't justify spending that kind of money on a keyboard. Hell, I can't see spending more than 20 bucks really. I eat and drink and spill too much on my keyboard to warrant the extra expense.

G

One long OLED "touch" screen with clear silicon key mats of varying designs eg, zboard style, that sit on top allowing some tactile response and unlimited customisation of screen below to match.

Plus you can then unplug the keyboard/screen and take with you as a tablet type device, albeit rather long.

Now we're talking! I'll have that for 1k!

P.S If you design and market this idea I ask only that you send me a few :D

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
This keyboard is very versatile in the correct market segment. Most of the comments listed here are from people looking at it from a consumer/home use where this keyboard definitely is not part of that area of concentration.

This keyboard is perfect for commercial requirements, like kiosks and terminals where multiple language support could be used by people that do not use or speak english as native language... Think Chinese Characters, or Thai or Japanese...

Or can be used for macro keys with products pictured in each key.

yo_yo2400

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
Id like to see a controller like that. Would be neat to see something like gamepads. Bricks of keys made for games with gernade icons etc.

squiggs77

Distinguished
May 25, 2010
[citation][nom]railgun1369[/nom]Have Apple resell it and watch how quickly it's bought then.[/citation]

They will say they did it first and call it magical too.

Status
Not open for further replies.