[~$1200] Laptop for Programming

mchl

Estimable
Mar 5, 2014
I plan to be dual booting Windows/Linux
Looking for a laptop for school/programming.
Here are some criteria:

Budget range: $1200~
Screen size preference: 15"
OS preference (Windows/ Mac/ Linux): Windows and Linux
Gaming requirements: Nope
Performance requirements: Any Haswell processor is nice
Long battery life -vs- Low weight: Battery life -- 7+ hours would be AWESOME
Build quality -vs- Low price: Build quality
Low noise/heat -vs- High performance: Balanced
High resolution screen: Full HD
A great keyboard: Yes
A great touchpad/mouse buttons: Yes
Great audio: No

Initially I was interested in the Yoga 2 Pro but I realized that I want a 15" screen which will be good for programming.Therefore my main criteria is 15" HD screen and 6-7hr + battery life.

This laptop looks good, hd screen + haswell + ~6.5 battery life (probably means 4.5)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H7WF21G/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00H7WF21G&linkCode=as2&tag=cyberjecom-20

Thanks!

themaskofwraith

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
Update: the laptop you referred is gaming laptop, but it is also a good deal though. You can get like 5hrs of battery life on that.

For programing i always prefer macbooks, as they give long battery life and they compatible for most of the programing platforms.

If the price is your concern consider hackinthose.

You can even save like 400$ with hackinthose.

kalyan82

Estimable
Mar 4, 2014
I don't think you really need a GPU for programming, instead you can use the money for higher level of CPU..

themaskofwraith

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011

i remember you asking for 15" screen in the question itself. but anyhow im glad u made your choice.
Before buying the Yoga 2 pro, check it once. As laptops high resolution display tend to have very small letters on the screen, this might trouble you while programing.

mchl

Estimable
Mar 5, 2014
Yeah I originally wanted a 15 inch laptop but then that limited the choices of laptops. All the specs and 2in1 capability are good so I will just have to get used to the screensize. I can also turn down the resolution since the max resolution will be too small.

themaskofwraith

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011

ok. since you solution mark the question as answered.