frank_59

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010
i am running windows vista, a few weeks ago all my photos,email adresses,+emails,sendto drop downbox empty,and also all my own programs i own will not load. i have run all kinds of virus scans, but they all come up ok, so its a mystery what has happened, anyone any ideas whats happened. frank.

frank_59

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010
hi buwish thanks for your reply, please could you explain a bit more in detail what do you mean by malware bytes in safe mode i am a bit of a newbie to computers, but always willing to learn about these things, as its a bit of a challange for me to try and put things right and learn along the way. thanks for your reply and hope to hear from you again. thanks again.

Gotcha. If possible, download the program Malware Bytes (just google it; the top link should lead you to a download site). From there, install it and then restart the computer. As soon as you see the splash screen, i.e. whatever brand your computer is, repeatidly press f8. You'll get a bunch of option- you'll want to select safe mode without networking. Windows will look a bit different, but you should be able to find Malware Bytes. Run a full scan and when it is completed, restart the computer (it will return to normal).

frank_59

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010

hi i followed your instructions, when i was in safe mode there is no option saying without networking, what it does say with networking so i clicked on this option, what happens next it loads all the windows files, then after that it ask for my password still in safe mode, then i click on malware bytes which is sitting on my desk top, then it scanned my pc it had a lot of bad files, so i deleted then all. afterwards i re-run again and there was no bad files on the pc, so was this the correct way i did this. anyway it did not put right the problems i have set out. so any more ideas will be quite welome. thanks again for your help.

holl0w

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
Hi Frank,

If you can't even run the program in safe mode, I think something is wrong with the system file. Maybe you would want to instead your window disk and attempt to repair your operating system.

Cheers!
holl0w

frank_59

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010

hi holl0w , i think maybe you are right,i have often thoutht about this. i have 2 disc, one is a recovery disc,the other a application&support disc, so i would not know which one to use or know where to start my laptop is a MEDION,running windows vista premium any help from anyone will be a appreciated. thanks frank.