$1400 Laptop for an elderly man.

LuckyTheLadyBug

Estimable
Jul 5, 2015
One of my family friends is wanting to get a new laptop. I don't know much about laptops, I am a desktop guy. He is willing to pay up to $1400, but I dont think we need to go that high.

Here are his requirements:
Back-lit Keyboard (MUST HAVE)
No more than 17" (Flexible, but nothing huge)
SSD with at least 500GB. He has a 2TB external HDD that he can store stuff on. 

All he does is watch youtube and do some work on his computer. No gaming or rendering. Super light photo editing. 

Thanks guys.

Solution
Yeah if all he does is mostly surfing and Office type application work, he can get buy with nearly half that cost. His max budget is into a relatively serious gaming laptop. Being older, I'd recommend a 17" screen with a 1600x900 resolution vs. 1080p for his eyes. That will further decrease the cost. Being so close to Thanksgiving and Black Friday/Cyber Monday, I'd recommend waiting for a deal then (assuming you are in the US).

I'd suggest keeping an eye on Best Buy and if you have them Fry's Electronics and Microcenter. Another option is to custom order one from an OEM like Dell, HP, or Lenovo.

Slow Pri

Commendable
Feb 29, 2016
I am currently rocking a Lenovo Yoga 710 2in1. I paid around $799 at the time, I'm sure you can find the 14" model for cheaper. It has a 256GB SSD/500GB SSD model in addition to backlit. It's super light weight. I use it for school.

10tacle

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
Yeah if all he does is mostly surfing and Office type application work, he can get buy with nearly half that cost. His max budget is into a relatively serious gaming laptop. Being older, I'd recommend a 17" screen with a 1600x900 resolution vs. 1080p for his eyes. That will further decrease the cost. Being so close to Thanksgiving and Black Friday/Cyber Monday, I'd recommend waiting for a deal then (assuming you are in the US).

I'd suggest keeping an eye on Best Buy and if you have them Fry's Electronics and Microcenter. Another option is to custom order one from an OEM like Dell, HP, or Lenovo.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS