2 inputs Noise issue.

brian badonde

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013
My xbox one is connected to my monitor via hdmi but the monitor has a 3.5mm output jack which connects to my speakers.

My pc is connected straight to the speakers

the speakers have a quite loud Buzzing in the background when there is no audio playing.

I think its the monitor causing the problem and was thinking of using something like this to seperate the audio.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/DVI-HDMI-Adapters/Converter-ARAS-1080P-Extractor-Support-Amazon-Version/B01DNQHOQU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1478469470&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=hdmi+audio+extractor&psc=1

is this likely to fix the issue or is there something else wrong?

Hello.

Hmm, your setup explanation is a little vague. What are your speakers, what model number? If you unplug the wire between the XBOX and the speakers, does the buzzing disappear? If you plug another audio source on that 3.5mm wire, such as a phone or mp3 player, does the sound work without any buzzing?

Have you verified if all the adapters and wires are correctly plugged, and tight?

And yes, you could use that extractor to fix the issue. Simply connect the xbox one through this extractor, and send an optical or L/R to your speakers. But I suggest verifying if it is really your monitor that is the issue.

brian badonde

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013

The speakers are Logitech Z533 but it happened with my old sets of speakers so i just used two, one to the xbox one for the pc.

Removing the xbox/monitor source gets rid of the buzz
connecting my iphone works perfectly you can just hear faint static if you turn the volume up high

the pc on its own or connected with the iphone (Aux) has no issue, but when the monitor output (monitor has its own power source obviously) and/or the bluetooth receiver (also has its own power source) both cause a noise
if i connect a bluetooth receiver i have that i connect to pc usually (then route the audio through that pc speakers) this creates an even louder noise

if i plug the bluetooth receiver into the pc (Line in) and the pc connected to the speakers then there is noise

Hmm, you didn't mention any bluetooth receiver in your first post. ^^ Bluetooth is generally very noisy, so you can rule that out. It's normal.

From your wiring, I guess your monitor is the noisy issue though. Short of opening it and modifying/repairing, I suggest trying an extractor. It should give you the best sound quality. Just connect a wire from it directly to your RCA input of the Z533, or use a (3.5mm to RCA adapter) to connect to the second input.

Huh? You tested with the extractor and still have noise? Then your issue is two things:

1)your XBOX One, which is possible, but I doubt...

2) A ground wiring fault. Check all your cables.

Also...when you connect only the xbox one, do you have buzzing? (without the pc connected)

brian badonde

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013
Just unplugged the pc 3.5mm and it goes...

The pc is connected to the monitor via DVI

The xbox is connected via hdmi

And the audio out from the monitor goes to the speakers.

I just unplugged the DVI connection (from back of pc) and the buzzing got louder.

How did you connect it? It should be:

XBOX -> HDMI cable -> Extractor IN

Extractor Out - > HDMI Cable -> Monitor

Extractor RCA (white/red) -> RCA cable -> RCA to 3.5mm adapter -> Z533

Connect the PC directly to the Z533. Nothing should be connected on the monitor's 3.5mm plug.

brian badonde

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013

Yes thats how i did it

The default setup has a 3.5mm from the monitor to the speakers

So if any of the two are connected (PC or XBOX) you get a hum......:( Sounds like the two interfere together and create a 60hz. Guess you're better off to stop wasting money and just plug the xbox 3.5mm wire only when you want to use the XBOX...?

brian badonde

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013

Yeah i can probably deal with it its not bad when theres sound playing, thanks anyway.

brian badonde

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013

Yes there are on the same, ill try and change it about see what happens.

brian badonde

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013

well when i was messing around i realised that the PC is the cause of noise it just gets a thousand times worse when the monitor is connected via 3.5mm and the power cord is plugged in (even if the monitor is turned off and there is nothing in the HDMI/DVI ports it still creates noise)

So ive unplugged the 3.5mm and the dvi cable and just used a hdmi to the monitor and route the sound through the monitor (like the xbox already is) only issue with this is i cant have sound from the pc when using the xbox, luckily i have the Extractor still so im going to connect the pc through that and have the audio to the speakers, so it came in handy after all i guess.

Also as a little side note, if i change the wires that the bluetooth uses one of them has noise (the black one that was connected to the pc originally) and the other doesnt (a white lead that came with the speakers) but using the white lead with the pc doesnt effect noise.... Genuinely confused by this but i guess it doesnt matter.

Anyway this is getting a tad long so thanks for your help.