2 minute Power-On to Desktop - with new SSD Win10

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris_shadez

Honorable
Oct 22, 2013
Gotten used to the speed of SSD boot to desktop and loading times so upgrading laptops HDD to SSD but experiencing such long delay compared to my PC's 3-5sec boot to desktop...

Windows 8.1 on original HDD had approx. 3min boot, upgrade to Win10 approx 4.5min to desktop.

Laptop - HP Pavilion Beats Edition DV7 6b51ea Spec Link
Want to figure this out before upgrading other laptops' HDD to SSD

I just replaced the original HDD with a Samsung Evo 850 500GB (MZ-75E500B) and installed the same OS - genuine Windows 10 Home x64. AHCI mode was enabled by default

1) Within seconds of powering on, appears the splash HP logo for ~20sec,
2) then ~80sec blank screen
3) Windows Welcome screen with username for about 30sec (with loading circle spin animation thing)
4) Desktop and ready to launch apps within few seconds

It was the same situation upon first installation (about 20sec longer) -And after windows updates -
After Samsung Magician installed & configured to Max Performance etc, RAPID Mode shaved off ~20sec to as described above. Power settings configured to 'High performance' & always plugged into mains.
Also tried;
- using another SSD ((bought 3 of them)One installed in another pc boots as expected to)
- another ISO copy
- updating drivers

Note - Configured system settings to skip log-in screen (no password) and lock screen

Never had this issue installing Win8/10 on lots of Desktops with SSD's I've built, first time upgrading a laptop.

Much appreciate assistance

Solution
Benchmarks, install, data transfer etc. times are as would be expected of an ssd. It's just this long blank sreen on boot that is the issue.
Boot drives are set to primary drive only.
I bought a 1TB ssd recently for my main pc, decided to try cloning with the original hdd the laptop used to have, problem remained so wiped that ssd and installed in pc as was intended.

Long time since this thread was active, since then, the smaller dv6 hp laptop is still being used with the annoyance of long boot time along with a failed battery, only working plugged in, not bothered to replace battery yet, just keep it plugged in to use and removed weight of dead battery block.
And my personal larger hp dv7 laptop is left gathering dust with a battery...

Latest appears to be F.1c

Your issue has nothing to do with Windows software since it's taking a long time to start booting from the SSD in the first place.

It does sound like it's defaulting to a slow, legacy interface to the SSD but that's just a guess. Other than trying the BIOS update I'm not sure what to suggest.

Your HDD seemed to be way too slow as well. My dad's 8-year-old laptop that originally had Vista booted on the original HDD to W8 (then W10) in roughly 60 seconds, then about 30 seconds to the SSD (to the logon screen).

Other:
The only other thing that I can think of is if you have the POST running a full system memory scan every boot. You want to enable a "quick" POST in your BIOS.

chris_shadez

Honorable
Oct 22, 2013
When i stated updated drivers, it included bios check which was already F.1C
And intterface is SATA 3 - 6Gb/s

3am, Will play with bios in the morning, along with seeing results of installing one into the other laptop. May also format the tower installed drive and into this dv7 just to check if it's a drive fault which is very doubtful though.

Already installed one of these 3 drives as a boot drive in a new tower, cold boot time 4sec.

on another note; when bought this laptop in Jan 2012, power on to desktop was around 30-40sec on Win7 Home.
After 2years of heavy use, this rose to 2'ish mins, it was the free upgrade to windows 10 which shot the time to hell past 4mins

EDIT;
POST is 0sec
Boy did i forget how few options there are in BIOS after using UEFI so long lol

chris_shadez

Honorable
Oct 22, 2013
...So i decided not to sleep waiting for hardware/ Memory Test and dang it takes long.

The BIOS is InsydeH20 which has Advanced Settings locked out and unfortunately everywhere i've looked, cannot be 'normally' unlocked.
Found a thread where a user was trying to aid people in unlocking it but ended up being banned and... here's link with a link in its last post ...the end
HP forums also say it can't be unlocked

HDD Test passed, Memory Test passed, nothing more to do in there. Samsung Magician does confirm AHCI is actived though.

Aside from the abnormally long boot time, speed of applications and data transfer is great as expected.
Not sure if i tweaked anything further... power-on to pre-welcome HP screen still takes just over a minute but there to desktop is 6ish seconds, guess it'll have to do as i don'[t know what else there is to do...

chris_shadez

Honorable
Oct 22, 2013
Above answer seemed to be auto marled as solution...
This is a fresh OS install on a brand new ssd, also same issue on another brand new ssd, a simple disk cleanup and registry fix have no impact.
Seems a laptop hardware/advanced bios settings fault.
Bios advanced settings inaccessible.
Since there are no solutions here, i suggest mark topic as unresolved and closed, not auto selecting a solution which a toddler could have posted.

aquielisunari

Distinguished

Do you at least have an option of setting and disabling boot devices? I'd disable all boot options except for your SSD. It appears it is trying to boot from multiple devices before finally booting from the SSD. It could also be looking for non-existent devices.

Are you familiar with Ccleaner? I am not talking about registry repair. I am talking about the tools section. There may be a lot of start-up items. Of course there is the Windows start-up list. Right-click taskbar, click task manager, click start-up tab. There may be items you can disable.

Have you cleaned up your services? There are usually at least a dozen services that can be set to manual or disabled.

Is your device manager "clean"? No ! or ? on any device?

Cyber-Freak

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010
When I encountered a similar problem installing a SSD to a desktop where there was a bad BIOS/SATA. I encountered extremely long recognition and installation times.
Two items that helped me out were to select RAID instead of IDE/AHCI, and my final solution was to move from SATA 6GB to SATA 3GB with AHCI enabled.
It also helped greatly to have those RAID/AHCI drivers installed during the windows installation process.

I can't be sure if you had trouble with install times, but the two were almost mutual problems I had to deal with.
I know laptops can be limited in the BIOS/UEFI so, take whatever you can from this.

chris_shadez

Honorable
Oct 22, 2013
Benchmarks, install, data transfer etc. times are as would be expected of an ssd. It's just this long blank sreen on boot that is the issue.
Boot drives are set to primary drive only.
I bought a 1TB ssd recently for my main pc, decided to try cloning with the original hdd the laptop used to have, problem remained so wiped that ssd and installed in pc as was intended.

Long time since this thread was active, since then, the smaller dv6 hp laptop is still being used with the annoyance of long boot time along with a failed battery, only working plugged in, not bothered to replace battery yet, just keep it plugged in to use and removed weight of dead battery block.
And my personal larger hp dv7 laptop is left gathering dust with a battery failure and power chip on mobo is gone too so no power at all, given up on it.

I did change startup settings to auto boot to safe mode/ w/networking few weeks before power failed but this made no difference either.

Suggesting ccleaner on fresh install??? *facepalm*

There's nothing dodgy software side, ISO was grabbed from microsoft website and same original win10 key was revealed before removing hdd and used to validate these new installs on ssd.

Given up! Close thread.

Solution

Nikos_12

Prominent
Jul 25, 2017
I had the same situation

1) Within seconds of powering on, appears the splash HP logo for ~20sec,
2) then ~80sec blank screen
3) Windows Welcome screen with username for about 30sec (with loading circle spin animation thing)
4) Desktop and ready to launch apps within few seconds

My laptop is Dell n5110, new SSD, new clean install win10.

I solved with this:

"After spending hours on black screen issues in Windows 10 and finally seemingly having SOLVED the problems I want to share my working solutions:

1. Slow start up after sleep: Solved with the ULPS solution by changing Enable ULPS in the Registry, as described e..g. in this Microsoft post: Win 10 booting delay caused by AMD graphic driver in my laptop - Microsoft Community

2. Black screen on boot (before and after Windows login): This turned out to be a complex problem with my AMD drivers. Here is my situation on a HP Pavilion dv7 laptop after upgrading to Windows 10:
- Intel HD Grahics 3000
- AMD Radeon HD 7400M
Here is what I did that finally worked:
- The culprit turned out to be the AMD drivers in version 15.7.1, but roll back to the previous 15.7 version was not available to me, so I had to delete the drivers alltogether. After that the computer started again without a black screen.
- The problem with just deleting the AMD drivers is that after a while the AMD drivers would update again automatically in the background, causing the screen to go black a few minutes after login.
- First I tried preventing Windows Update from updating automatically, but this only delayed the problem, since apparantly the driver update would happen anyway, just at a later moment.
- The solution to AMD drivers updating automatically I eventually solved using the Show and Hide tool that Microsoft made available here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930
- I first made sure the Windows Update was not on automatic update, then I just deleted the AMD drivers. After a restart my Display Adapters would be like:
- Intel HD Graphics 3000
- Microsoft Basic Display-adapter
The final step in solving my black screen issues was then:
- Using the Show and Hide tool; there the problem-causing AMD driver update would be listed and I just selected this driver update to be hidden. Also after several restarts everything seems to start up nice and smoothly.

After these steps both the slow start after sleep as well as the black screen issues seem history. I keep my fingers crossed."

from here: https://www.tenforums.com/general-support/10457-fix-windows-10-booting-black-screen-17.html

Status
Not open for further replies.