2014 Macbook Air for web development?

ankeet

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
Hey!

I'm in the market for a new laptop, and was wondering if I should make the shift to Mac OS after having troubles upgrading to Windows 8.1 and other nagging issues.

I'll primarily be using it for web development with the following programs running

• - Web browser (Chrome) with 3-4 tabs running
    - phpStorm
    - Photoshop - Nothing intensive. Creating icons and web banners.
    - iTunes
    - Folders
    - Filezilla/ FTP software
I'm currently running a 3rd gen i3 w/ 4GB Ram and a 1GB Nvidia 630M, which is under repair now. I'm considering making the jump to a MBA with the following config

• - 4th Gen i5 (any idea which one this is? can't seem to find the model)
    - 128GB SSD
    - 4GB RAM
    - Integrated Intel graphics
I'm hoping the new MBA with it's SSD will be able to handle the above apps quite easily. While I know it won't be very future proof, I'm hoping to get a good 2 years out of it.

My other alternative is to look for a cheaper ultrabook, but I'm banking on Apple's reputation of after sales service to keep me from getting frustrated instead of wondering where to find the PC manufacturers service centers.

Thanks!

Solution
It should just about be fine but photoshop may push it and the ssd seems quite small in my opinion. Personally I would get the 13 inch macbook pro retina as it has a better intergrated graphics card which should be more than enough for what you need and you will be able to use it more than 2 years.

Bolin

Estimable
Sep 8, 2014
Remember you are paying more when buying from apple for the sole reason of OSX, support and sevices which you won't need if you feel you're experienced enough. Anyway, yes. That System should handle your tasks just fine

It should just about be fine but photoshop may push it and the ssd seems quite small in my opinion. Personally I would get the 13 inch macbook pro retina as it has a better intergrated graphics card which should be more than enough for what you need and you will be able to use it more than 2 years.

Solution

ankeet

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011

I was thinking the same, but a Pro is too much of an investment right now, seeing that I can get the Air for around $900. I was thinking after I get a feel for the mac OS, I can probably decide to upgrade later. I guess I'll be going in for an Air.

However, can I upgrade the RAM and HDD on the Pro? Or is it soldered on to the board?

Thanks!

Bolin

Estimable
Sep 8, 2014

I am pretty sure I heard somewhere that almost everything is soldered in the most recent products