2016 macbook pro 13 - Buy or no?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omid1234

Commendable
Jul 24, 2016
Hi guys

So this is the situation, I'm starting college after summer and looking for a new laptop. I'm interessed in The newest macbook pro 13, basemodel. It costs 1700 dollars, which is insane for my budget. However I found someone selling it for 1350 dollars, completely new, still sealed. Worth it? I will mainly be using the laptop for word, excel, media consumption and web browsing.

People who have experienced this particular model are welcomed to share their thoughts!

Solution
Dongles could be the answer... However, their cost adds up quickly (around 10 dollars each for OEM Apple ones) and they can be easy to lose. Maybe a USB-C hub could be a good solution- see http://www.imore.com/6-great-usb-c-hubs-macbook-pro

The only problem that seems to be apparent is MagSafe. It gives the charging cord a magnetic attachment and can be broken away if tripped on or pulled accidentally. (This has undoubtedly saved hundreds of laptops in the past). The 2016 MacBook Pro does not have MagSafe, while the 2015 model does. Certain companies do make USB-C Magsafe cables and adapters, which could work well (see http://bgr.com/2016/11/03/macbook-pro-charger-amazon-magsafe-macbook-pro-2016/ )

That MacBook Pro (2016) for 1350...

RandomGuy42

Commendable
Jan 1, 2017
It really depends on how much power you need and what you want to do. For example, for 1350 dollars, you could easily build a state-of-the-art gaming desktop or buy an extremely powerful laptop. If you do want MacOS for sure, it definitely is a good price.

However, another aspect to consider is the compatibility. If the MacBook pro that you want to buy is the 2016 model (with the flat-ish keys, no touchbar, and a large trackpad), you will have to remember that it only has one type of port- USB Type C.

USB Type C is incredibly versatile, as it can be used for a variety of purposes. (E.G. Video, storage, etc.) However, with USB type A (the traditional rectangular port) still common, USB type C is not extremely compatible.

If you are still hoping for a MacBook, the 2015 models (with Magsafe, and many ports, including an SD card slot) may be a cheaper and more sensible option.

Windows laptops may be cheaper and much more cost effective, but the 2015 MacBook Pro is probably your best bet.

Omid1234

Commendable
Jul 24, 2016

Well, I do already have gaming station for all heavy editing and gaming. I used macs in the past and really enjoyed the more stable OS. The ports flat out suck, but I guess a doungle could fix that issue.

RandomGuy42

Commendable
Jan 1, 2017
Dongles could be the answer... However, their cost adds up quickly (around 10 dollars each for OEM Apple ones) and they can be easy to lose. Maybe a USB-C hub could be a good solution- see http://www.imore.com/6-great-usb-c-hubs-macbook-pro

The only problem that seems to be apparent is MagSafe. It gives the charging cord a magnetic attachment and can be broken away if tripped on or pulled accidentally. (This has undoubtedly saved hundreds of laptops in the past). The 2016 MacBook Pro does not have MagSafe, while the 2015 model does. Certain companies do make USB-C Magsafe cables and adapters, which could work well (see http://bgr.com/2016/11/03/macbook-pro-charger-amazon-magsafe-macbook-pro-2016/ )

That MacBook Pro (2016) for 1350 dollars does seem like a good deal... If MacOS functions well for your purposes, it seems like a good buy.

Solution

Alex_Crawford

Prominent
May 29, 2017
I have complained a lot about the new macbook, and really it might not be as bad as we think. (Remember Apple discontinued floppy disks in 1998 and people thought that was nuts). But if you are going to college you might run across a case where you need normal usb ports and don't have a dongle around. If you are into Macs and don't want a PC, I recommend a last generation mac. They might just be better machines until usb is completely replaced if that ever happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS