3 Tuners For HDTV on Your Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmez

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
How come the Whoreppuage gets 4 stars?
Its massive, expensive, requires an ac adapter and doesn't work on macs. That pretty much rules it out for portability. Then after installing the software you have to separately install drivers?
I think i'll pass.

Ps. For those actually interested Elgato make a tuner with an antenna. I have it. Its awesome.
Its miles ahead of any tuner i've ever had and for some reason that tiny antenna works 100% on the tuner but barely gets any reception on my tv.

None of these allow you to plug in the HDMI from your cable/satellite box. Nor have cable card with On Demand capability. That is what I am waiting for.

As they stand these tuners can only serve a niche market. Especially with so much content available online. I suppose these sell well in areas with slow internet connections. With people whom do not want to pay for cable or satellite service.

ac21365

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2009
[citation][nom]velocityg4[/nom]None of these allow you to plug in the HDMI from your cable/satellite box. Nor have cable card with On Demand capability. [/citation]

Ceton's Cablecard tuner is about the closest thing you're going to get to that outside of an aftermarket standalone cable box. HDMI in, from the POV of media makers, is basically handing you the ability to losslessly copy anything that comes on tv.

We're all going to copyright hell anyway, so they might as well just make it.

Duesouth

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2009
you forgot the best one by silicondust. HDHomerun. it is a Ethernet base dual tuner standalone tuner. you can access the the HDHomerun via your network.

paulpod

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
Grrr. Nobody ever addresses the most important thing regarding these products. Does it properly display hardware deinterlaced video (60fps with no jaggies)? These products are far more likely to be used with live, interlaced source, like sports. And they are likely to be used to capture old home videos.

Those uses are ruined by products with bad software that throws away half the fields and just displays 30fps video.

Status
Not open for further replies.