Status
Not open for further replies.

thion.eor

Great
Nov 29, 2018
Im upgrading ram from 1x8gb 2400mhz ddr4 so dimm to 2x8 in order to increase bf5 performance(that is not the debate or qustuion here).
(Acer laptop) Model Name: A717-71G-53HR Part Number: NX.GPFED.001

I scaned my laptop with crucials scanprogram: Your scanner ID:42F4F16E31D926C3
It suggests some 2666mhz memorys besides the 2400mhz ones.. Im more confused now then ever.

Motherboard:Manufacturer KBL
Model Charizard_KLS (U3E1)
Version V1.13
Chipset Vendor Intel
Chipset Model Kaby Lake
Chipset Revision 05
Southbridge Vendor Intel
Southbridge Model HM175
Southbridge Revision 31
BIOS
Brand Insyde Corp.
Version V1.13
Date 2017-12-26
CPU:
"Chipset: Intel Series 100" it said on crucials scanprogram

Cores 4
Threads 4
Name Intel Core i5
Code Name Kaby Lake
Package Socket 1440 FCBGA
Technology 14nm
Specification Intel Core i5-7300HQ CPU @ 2.50GHz
Family 6
Extended Family 6
Model E
Extended Model 9E
Stepping 9
Revision B0
Instructions MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4.1, SSE4.2, Intel 64, NX, VMX, AES, AVX, AVX2, FMA3
Virtualization Supported, Enabled
Hyperthreading Not supported
Stock Core Speed 2500 MHz
Stock Bus Speed 100 MHz

Old ram:
Type Unknown
Size 8192 MBytes
Channels # Single
DRAM Frequency 1197.1 MHz
CAS# Latency (CL) 17 clocks
RAS# to CAS# Delay (tRCD) 17 clocks
RAS# Precharge (tRP) 17 clocks
Cycle Time (tRAS) 39 clocks
Command Rate (CR) 2T

1. Does my system support 3000mhz ddr4?

Base CPU speed is 2.5 up to 3.5 ghz. It runs at 3.1 ghz with the cord plugged in playing bf5 on all 4 cores.

2.is it better to buy a gskill 3000mhz 16-18-18-43 then a corsair vengeance so dimm 2400mhz 16-16-16-39 ? Even if my mobo would have a 2400mhz limit? (I haven't been able to find out if it does). The gskill would be able to use mutch lower CL values when running at 2400 then the corsair right?

3. If i just install the 3000mhz and press start, will the system use the old ram values of 2400mhz and cl 17-17-17-39? Or what the he'll will happen? Lots of talk about 2133 mhz as "base" speed but I don't know.

4 .does all mobas let you adjust cl in bios? I looked around in the startup thinge acceced by pressing f2 but it was sparse as for options and settings.

I'm thankful for any input anyone might have.

Solution
No, that memory with the 3000mhz speed probably won't have better latency if it runs at the timings found in it's XMP profile. They are higher than those found in the 2400mhz module you listed. When it comes to memory timings you generally want LOWER numbers for most primary, secondary and tertiary timings, not higher numbers. And lower speed memory almost always has a lower latency and other timings. Not always, but mostly, except on very high end modules like those using Samsung B-dies.

Yes, it SHOULD auto configure to the fastest speed the laptop supports, which I believe to be 2400mhz. It will also auto configure the rest of the settings, so who knows what those will end up as through the training process. Keep in mind, CAS latency...

thion.eor

Great
Nov 29, 2018
I understand and I apologize. I wasn't at my computer at the time and i myself did not find out mutch even when having the modellnumber. I will add more data about my laptop later today. It was a bit urgent last night becouse i had already put in an order for 2400 vengeance. Which i canceled a few hours ago.

My acer laptop: Model Name: A717-71G-53HR

Part Number: NX.GPFED.001

thion.eor

Great
Nov 29, 2018

You are right. Model Name: A717-71G-53HR for the laptop.
Mobile Intel® HM175 Chipset

I've added tons of info in the thread.

2400mhz memory seems to be the fastest that device will support. Likely, it may actually RUN faster memory, but it will probably be at the slower 2400mhz speed.

Make & Model: Acer Aspire A717-71G-53HR
Device Type: Laptop
Memory Ram Type SODIMM
Memory Speed DDR4 PC4-17000 2133Mhz 1.2v | DDR4 PC4-19200 2400Mhz 1.2v
Number Of Memory Sockets 2
Maximum Memory 32GB
Maximum Memory Per Slot 16GB
Acer Support: http://www.acer.co.uk/ac/en/GB/content/support

thion.eor

Great
Nov 29, 2018

Thanks a lot.

1. Is it common that you can't access BIOS settings for RAM on laptops? I looked around and found nothing at the startup.

2. Will a 19200 2400 mhz kit work? Corsair Vengeance. https://www.computersalg.se/i/1402939/corsair-vengeance-ddr4-16-gb-2-x-8

3. My cl timings right now are 17-17-17-39-2t. The Corsair is 16-16-16-39. Will the system adjust to the faster latency or will the extra performance be wasted becouse of the non existing cl adjustments in my bios?

4. THe two slots has to be chanel one and two. So that I gain dualchanel performence buying 2x8gb?

It is common for a great MANY settings to not be available on laptops, except on custom units like some of the Sager gaming laptops. Not surprising at all. They don't want you messing things up by changing the configurations on most laptops because they are not like desktops with good cooling and ventilation.

Yes, it SHOULD adjust to the lower latency and faster timings. I can't say it WILL, because laptops are so different from model to model, and honestly some of them are just really cheap, with really cheap motherboards that might or might not do that. But they should.

Yes, you will gain dual channel if you use two modules from a matched set.

thion.eor

Great
Nov 29, 2018
If i put in 3000mhz ddr4, will it use the clockfrequenzy of 2400mhz or the lower 2133 mhz?
I'm asking becouse I'm able to buy the standard corsair 2400 mhz 16-16-16-39 or a fast gskill 3000mhz 16-18-18-43. Clocked to 2400 or 2133 the g skill should have mutch lower latency. Price difference is only 50 usd.

which memory stick will give me the best performance?
Will the 3000mhz gskill pc4 24000 work? Dark breeze acer UK info only mentions 19200 (corsair 2400mhz) and the lower mhz one.
Which is the best buy and which one will give me the best performance?

thion.eor

Great
Nov 29, 2018

Thank you for your answer. I've a few more new questions which I posted in the thread...;)

No, that memory with the 3000mhz speed probably won't have better latency if it runs at the timings found in it's XMP profile. They are higher than those found in the 2400mhz module you listed. When it comes to memory timings you generally want LOWER numbers for most primary, secondary and tertiary timings, not higher numbers. And lower speed memory almost always has a lower latency and other timings. Not always, but mostly, except on very high end modules like those using Samsung B-dies.

Yes, it SHOULD auto configure to the fastest speed the laptop supports, which I believe to be 2400mhz. It will also auto configure the rest of the settings, so who knows what those will end up as through the training process. Keep in mind, CAS latency is not the only timing that affects true latency, it is only ONE aspect of the timings.

Mostly I think you are overthinking this. For laptops, this is not even a major concern. And for most processes aside from synthetic benchmarks, you are not going to see any major different in the speed of the system no matter what speed of memory you use. Having MORE memory, and having it running in dual channel, that should be the primary concern.

Solution

thion.eor

Great
Nov 29, 2018

If I could have configured the 3000mhz running at 2400, I bet I could sett the cl 12 timing to (2400/3000)x16=13 and 18 to 15 etc. But I can't without messing with updating/new/other bios I guess.

Yeah I tend to overthink some small detail a lot/asberger here we go). I didn't research modern CPUs a second before I bought this Acer Laptop. And now I'm stuck with a slow i57300hq which dosn't work great in BF5. Never planed to play it. RAM is the only thing I can change thus trying to compensate for the 4/4 CPU.

Comparability should be my number one concern and the "standard" Coursair 2400hmz 19200 should be a much safer bet in that regard.

I think that the RAM speed makes a bigger differance in some games and game mods, then others. Like BF5 64 ppl multiplayer. A CPU heavy, massive game. Compared to BF5 singelplayer, a walk in a park even for slower ram memories. I've got a fast gtx 1060 paired with a CPU with only 4 cores. BF5 likes 8 cores.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCNHxfhWmsI These tests are with better CPUs..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AOndRffRLY

Anyway, thanks for all the help. I've ordered the 2400 mhz memories so the next steep will be installing them some time next week.

Laptops are terrible choices for gaming anyhow, if you're trying to play AAA games. They will never give you the kind of performance you can get from a desktop AND when you run them hard, they tend to burn up sooner rather than later because most of them cannot handle the intense thermal conditions even if they were marketed as "gaming" laptops.

Especially when people start trying to tweak things beyond the stock configuration or overclock the GPU. There just isn't a solution that will allow for cooling that is sufficient for stuffing all that hardware in there and then running it like a desktop. I see probably 50 laptops per week, just on this site alone, that have been burned up from gaming. If you keep things realistic then it will last a lot longer. Otherwise, I wouldn't expect a long life. Even desktops with big CPU coolers and many case fans have issues with heat so you can imagine a laptop with little space for cooling, not being able to keep up with the demands of the hardware that probably was too much from the start.

thion.eor

Great
Nov 29, 2018

I installed the 2x8gb corsair 2400mhz today. First it didn't recognize 16gb but only 8 but I had read about that problem. I Booted the computer with only 8gb in one slot, then did the same in the other slot. And then both at the same time. Finally it workek. 16,0GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1196MHz (16-16-16-39)

But then WTF I started battelfront 2. The game runs slow as shit. The GPU is [] up. The GPU dosn't get as hot as it used to and it has lost 90% of its performence!!!!!! If I scale down resoltuon it runs fine.
THe gpu is gtx1060 6gb. The systems show that it us that I've 8gb of shared memory on top of the GPU 6gb. Don't know if this is new.
What the hell happend?

I also installed new nvidia drivers the moment before the new RAM.. What can be the problem with the decressed performence?

Last edited by a moderator:

thion.eor

Great
Nov 29, 2018

I just read that as a laptop user/With an geforce optimus system), I'm not sopposed to use Geforce drivers, but instead Acers own old 2017-06 drivers. I've read both that using OEM might hurt your system and that it might run slower. Asswell as others saying it is the way to go. What is your take on the subject?

You should ALWAYS use the drivers that are available on the motherboard OR laptop product page as they are designed SPECIFICALLY for that system by the hardware vendor, UNLESS you have hardware that didn't come with the motherboard or laptop, as in the case of replacement drives for laptops IF they need an additional storage controller driver like the Samsung NVME M.2 drives or an aftermarket graphics card or other hardware device for desktops.

If it came WITH the device, then it's almost always better to use the drivers THEY provide for the device unless using their drivers causes an issue with some other device.

Status
Not open for further replies.