3D Glasses Are Filthy; Please Bring Your Own

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

figgus

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
[citation][nom]azconnie[/nom]By denying your body acess to standard germs, you kill your immune system. As such, and otherwise innocuouse diesease will make ou wery sick. As a child, I swam in the swamp, with the gators, at night. I havn't been sick, or afraid of the dark in over a decade.[/citation]
Of course, he's only got 1 arm but he's not sick or afraid of the dark.

G

Given the kind of stuff that Alanis Morisette apparently does in theatres, I'd think just sitting down was more of a risk. Then again, maybe she leaves the 3D glasses for that stuff too. Who's reminded of Eugene Levy's SCTV take on 3D by that mental image? I know I am!

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
both 3D Movies I went to I spent over 20 mins of the movie trying to clean the smear off my glasses. Turned me off of 3D Movies for good.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Okay, considering we're paying an extra $5+ to "rent" glasses, they should be cleaned.

I also agree with the "what doesnt kill you, makes you stronger"... as long as it doesn't kill you :)

A friend of mine is very CLEAN, etc. He gets sick easily. I'm not talking about a clean house, but just a bit too much. I do use anti-bacterial gel from time to time, its portable and in my car. And its best to wash your hands before eating food in public, after touching money and such. You know those dollars have been in a few G-strings. :)

So I have a question for this article... how to best clean the glasses for re-use, without damaging them. I have some I kept and would rather keep them clean. Someone from our group did complain about her glasses being dirty - but I was thinking that it was her own fingers which smudged them.

cracklint

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2008
11.50 for a 3d movie ticket....you dang right I am takin' 'em home.

I'm not a clean freak, but some folks are plain nasty; sinus infection, fecal matter, conjunctivitis, other bodily fluids anyone?

proxy711

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
Regardless of germs and whatnot i don't want some sweaty persons gunk all over my face. not to mention I'm sure more then one of those glasses have fallen on the floor. we all know what kinds of horrors live on theater floors. Not something i want on my face either.

HalJordan

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
I figure I run across plenty of nefarious germs in my day to day life by which to exercise my immune system. The thought of putting on the same glasses as someone with a puss spewing eye infection isn't exactly my form of bravado. I'd rather swim the gators.

I'd be the one guy that a staphylococcal infection up my nose or in a tear duct; I'm lucky that way. Maybe I'll check out 3dstereo.com.

ushindi

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010
Actually, it is rather easy to pick up eye infections from dirty sources, as I imagine 3D glasses would be:
"Bacterial conjunctivitis is a common type of pink eye, caused by bacteria that infect the eye through various sources of contamination. The bacteria can be spread through contact with an infected individual, exposure to contaminated surfaces or through other means such as sinus or ear infections."
Viral conjunctivitis is also a possibility. Basically, you should not put anything NOT clean (especially when many others have used it - like theater glasses) next to the eye membrane. Staph infection of the eye? No thanks.

Strider-Hiryu_79

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
Your own fingers release naturally ocurring residue through the pores of the skin.

Did you know that Staphylococcus aureus is a naturally ocurring bacteria that resides in and around the eye cavity including the eyelids in EVERY human?

LOL I guess it goes with the territory of being a neat freak. Being paranoid of such things that is.

Let me make up more mental imagery for you. The smudges that you saw on those glasses they could of originated from any orifice LOL.

Oh and the 5 second rule has been disproven countless times by scientists. Guess you're not as neat as you thought you were if you keep following the "5 second rule".

Question what happens if you drop a crack on a piece of bird turd? do you count 5 seconds and eat it after?

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]Strider-Hiryu_79[/nom]Your own fingers release naturally ocurring residue through the pores of the skin. Did you know that Staphylococcus aureus is a naturally ocurring bacteria that resides in and around the eye cavity including the eyelids in EVERY human?LOL I guess it goes with the territory of being a neat freak. Being paranoid of such things that is.Let me make up more mental imagery for you. The smudges that you saw on those glasses they could of originated from any orifice LOL.Oh and the 5 second rule has been disproven countless times by scientists. Guess you're not as neat as you thought you were if you keep following the "5 second rule".Question what happens if you drop a crack on a piece of bird turd? do you count 5 seconds and eat it after?[/citation]

Lol, I was kidding. Sure, I employ the five second rule at home but I do I think it means there are no germs on whatever it was that I dropped? Hell no. I just know how clean my floor is. Just because I'm a neat freak doesn't mean I wash fruit before I eat it (a habit I probably should get into), it just means my house is clean.

I'm not paranoid about germs but I do know from personal experience that conjunctivitis is seriously uncomfortable and pretty contagious. Food poisoning is no picnic either.

BTW, I'm pretty sure only something like a quarter of humans are long term carriers of Staphylococcus aureus.

foscooter

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010
Cleanliness is overrated. I see a future that everyone is so sterile with hand sanitzer and the like, that a simple flu virus will knock out half of the population....Hey, that's sounds like a good movie! Do ya fell the irony?

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]proxy711[/nom]Regardless of germs and whatnot i don't want some sweaty persons gunk all over my face. not to mention I'm sure more then one of those glasses have fallen on the floor. we all know what kinds of horrors live on theater floors. Not something i want on my face either.[/citation]
After the movie, I rub my nuts on them and turn them back in. Just kidding, but now you'll think about that the next time you go to a 3D movie...

sidran32

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
[citation][nom]brendano257[/nom]Yet miraculously no one has died from using 3D glasses, funny how that works.... +1 for azconnie, you need normal exposure or you have no defenses. I really don't take special care to maintain absolutely clean hands, never use hand sanitizer, and I'm sick maybe 1-2 times per year. I had mono last year, but that has nothing to do with clean hands...or 3D glasses.[/citation]
Source for the claim?

I know, it's not common. I can't think of any instances, either. I've never even gotten sick from wearing the 3D glasses. However, I was just pointing out the argument "well, we aren't licking them" is irrelevant, because that's not how they would be transferred anyway. ;)

eddieseven

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
Sadly, not many, if any people wash their hands after using the john! Glasses off, pants down, fumble, fumble, fumble. zip up or pants up, then straight back to the movie plonking the glasses back on their noses. Get the drift?

Status
Not open for further replies.