3D Glasses Are Filthy; Please Bring Your Own

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

b23h

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2009
"what doesn't kill you makes you stronger"

Why do people love this Nietzche quote, it's just patently false. That quote is for those that exist in a world where something either kills you or you conquer the condition, and that is not the world we always live in. We don't live in an either or world as our world will as often maim, disfigure, weaken, or incapacitate you; but that doesn’t make for a very good pithy statement does it?

b23h

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2009
"About a quarter of people carry Methicillin resistant staphylococcus Aureus (MRSA)"

This is just wrong. It's easy to research it just do a google search for let's say "prevalance of MRSA colonization in general public"

fyasko

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
for me it's not about the germs... i surf in fecal matter, motor oil, tampons etc, my concern is the gross feeling of putting on something dirty and nasty on your face, bodily fluids, sweat, oils and boogers or baby batter. people are nasty, germs are good, avoiding contact with nasty gross people should always be a priority.

fyasko

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
for me it's not about the germs... i surf in fecal matter, motor oil, tampons etc, my concern is the gross feeling of putting on something dirty and nasty on your face, bodily fluids, sweat, oils and boogers or baby batter. people are nasty, germs are good, avoiding contact with nasty gross people should always be a priority.

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
[citation][nom]pirateboy[/nom]I bet these glasses could give you genital warts behind your ears[/citation]

Only if you stick your ankles there.

fiduce

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
If only someone could come out with standard 3D glasses (the same pair would function both at home and in theaters).
This would be the next Christmas gift (hundred millions sales).
I think everybody (all whose consumer electronics companies) is waiting for some kind of iVision device - i.e. a "magical" device - to start this story. Apple is so amaazing ! ;-)

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
I understand what people are saying about germs everywhere, but i would think that a pair a 3D glasses would be clean and steril at a movie theator. Your paying extra for 3D and they take the time to repackage them so cleaning them wouldn't be that difficult and since their actually going on your face and are near your nose and mouth i think Steril would be nice.

allrock

Distinguished
May 20, 2010
The glasses that are reused (dolby 3D) are put through a Sterilization process , they are washed in a dishwasher like device and steliser Chemicals are used during this process , The glases in the recyle or take them home system (realD) are either taken home or when recycled they are not reused, you allways get a clean pair , if some cinemas are doing otherwise the health department would probbly pay them a visit.

TunaSoda

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2005
[citation][nom]eddieseven[/nom]Sadly, not many, if any people wash their hands after using the john! Glasses off, pants down, fumble, fumble, fumble. zip up or pants up, then straight back to the movie plonking the glasses back on their noses. Get the drift?[/citation]
Urine is sterile

G

You need therapy. There are germs on everything you touch, in every breath you take, in the food you eat, and on your bed. Get over it...

G

[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Tell you what, next time you go to the cinema, i'll make sure I pop on of the glasses handles up my ass first. Let's see how happy you are to wear them then.[/citation]

Your hateful, disrespectful, immature tone is in violation of this forum's policies. If you can't debate issues like an adult, then quit posting until you grow up.

As to what you said, that's not something people do. If they did, then I could understand not wanting to reuse 3d glasses. But, as someone in an earlier post pointed out, many things that you touch every day, including when you go to the movies, have been touched by thousands of people before you came along.

Worrying about the germs on 3d glasses is just plain irrational.

noodlegts

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
Guys staph is really nothing to mess around with, especially when it's on YOUR FACE. I had a staph infection once in my arm and I ended up in the hospital for four days.

There's a difference between sitting on a seat in the metro and putting something on your FACE!

Thanks for that Jane... I'm going to pack my own glasses from now on, as none of those bacteria seem really appealing to me :/

G

[citation][nom]Rab1d-BDGR[/nom]Bacteria, yes, but not necessarily "Germs" - disease causing agents. Some things need to be clean, other things need to be sterile. If you got a tattoo or a piercing, you'd want that to be sterile, right? I'm sure Hepatitis is a barrel of laughs. The glasses probably don't need to be sterile, but clean? I for one would expect that![/citation]

Duh! Of course glasses need to be clean, but why all this hoopla about glasses when there are hundreds of things you come into contact with daily that need to be equally clean???

G

I'm beginning to realize that these news forums are populated by people who love to argue, and who have way too much time on their hands.

I've never met people in real life who are so rude, civil, and considerate of others.

All this arguing about such petty things is for losers. I've got a real life to live. Bye...

G

Food for thought considering I ended up with pneumonia after a trip to Disney world and yes I saw a Bug's Life in 3D. Of course, with the number of people anything I touched could have been infected.

bounty

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
Normally when I have a massive amount of puss dripping from my infected eyes, I wipe them cuz it itches. Then I put my hand back down on the arm rests. The same arm rest you use right after me. The same arm rests that the guy before me put his wet snotty hand on before. The same arm arm rest that YOUR hand is on right before you wipe your mouth or rub the corner of your eye. But that doesn't matter, because you were already infected by the guy that sneezed above and behind you somewhere. Sending a massive cloud of virus over you and the entire un-sterile room.

RADIO_ACTIVE

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]phoenix777[/nom]I'm not a clean freak, so I don't really care. It's not like people will go licking those glasses anyway...[/citation]

how do you know someone could have scratched there you know whats and put them on

G

lol @ all this talk about punishing your immune system. Your immune system is *already* taxed enough just living every day guys, you dont need to purposely go out of your way and lick a toilet seat at a train station to make sure your defenses are kept strong. Opening doors, breathing in theater, and paying for tickets at the box office tax your immune system enough as it is, we dont need dirty infected glasses resting directly on your face for 2 hours on top. Most infections occur from very brief encounters with your face, such as mouth & nose. Keeping an infectious material against your face for hours at a time only compounds the likelihood of getting sick 10 fold. If you want to get sick YOU WILL get sick, so stop acting like you live your life without giving a damn and never wash your hands. Half of you are probably so unhealthy each day you live on the verge of sickness with your immune system working in overdrive, no need to push it over the top.

Status
Not open for further replies.