3D Glasses Are Filthy; Please Bring Your Own

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ronch79

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
If there's one thing that's really dirty, it's money. Can you imagine how much bacteria there are on a bill? I wash my hands if I can after handling cash.

b23h

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2009
[citation][nom]azconnie[/nom]By denying your body acess to standard germs, you kill your immune system. As such, and otherwise innocuouse diesease will make ou wery sick. As a child, I swam in the swamp, with the gators, at night. I havn't been sick, or afraid of the dark in over a decade.[/citation]

Yes there are studies that support the idea that it is good to have some contact with germs inorder to challenge the immune system, but this usually applies to the very young when their immune system is not yet mature. That's no reason to allow yourself to come into contact with unneccesary nasties as you're older, especially with the ever increasing spread of stuff like MRSA.

hawkwindeb

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
[citation][nom]Gin Fushicho[/nom]GROSS! D= *sprays the pair he brought home with sterlization liquid*[/citation]

Just use 18 Molar Sulfuric Acid. That "should" do the trick - you'll never have to worry about your glasses being gross again ;-)

athreex

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2008
So, if Howard Hughes could still be alive, I'm pretty sure he would've never used 3d glasses

[citation][nom]azconnie[/nom]By denying your body acess to standard germs, you kill your immune system. As such, and otherwise innocuouse diesease will make ou wery sick. As a child, I swam in the swamp, with the gators, at night. I havn't been sick, or afraid of the dark in over a decade.[/citation]

So areyou family of Steve Irwin?

[citation][nom]azconnie[/nom]Nope, got all my parts. How else could I type faster than I think? We still have that gator, I call hin Jeff. He's aboput 16' long now.[/citation]

Woah dude, your little pet reminds me of the Lake Placid movie. Does Jeff eats adult-sized cows ?

will_chellam

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
[citation][nom]JMcEntegart[/nom]Lol, I was kidding. Sure, I employ the five second rule at home but I do I think it means there are no germs on whatever it was that I dropped? Hell no. I just know how clean my floor is. Just because I'm a neat freak doesn't mean I wash fruit before I eat it (a habit I probably should get into), it just means my house is clean.I'm not paranoid about germs but I do know from personal experience that conjunctivitis is seriously uncomfortable and pretty contagious. Food poisoning is no picnic either.BTW, I'm pretty sure only something like a quarter of humans are long term carriers of Staphylococcus aureus.[/citation]

Every single human carries staph aureus over their whole body surface, it's a skin commensal meaning it sits their harmless for the vast majority of the time.

About a quarter of people carry Methicillin resistant staphylococcus Aureus (MRSA) which sits there harmless for the majority of the time, it is no more infectious of contagious then any other strain of staph Aureus, but it can for obvious reasons cause more problems on the rare occasion it does cause an infection.

I bet you still believe HIV is primarily spread by toilet seats as well?

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
[citation][nom]kryth69[/nom]Germs are good for you. Your immune system needs practice. Suck it up.[/citation]

By that logic, I think you should spend time working for the CDC on their special island, without protective gear. Come on, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger right? If it does kill you - which considering the bacteria and viruses they have access to is more likely, then I guess its non-survival of the unfittest right? Suck it up! You just weren't strong enough to compete with bacteria and viruses that have killed millions.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
[citation][nom]eddieseven[/nom]Sadly, not many, if any people wash their hands after using the john! Glasses off, pants down, fumble, fumble, fumble. zip up or pants up, then straight back to the movie plonking the glasses back on their noses. Get the drift?[/citation]

Amen. It's disgusting. But then, people generally have no regard for others as it is. Which is also and even more disgusting. Its personal responsibility, and sooooooo many people are soooooooo lacking in it. Then we wonder why we all have such disdain.

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006

Unfortunately quite true and correct. In fact, that is a theory as to why people are getting sick from things that they never used to get sick from, because people are 'sterilizing' too much in their daily lives and your body doesn't realize what is actual bad stuff and what is innocuous stuff, so it overreacts.

bv90andy

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
A friend of mine once borrowed a bike helmet. Next week he had acne all over his forehead. It sucks.
I say take one pair home with you, then maybe clean them and use them every time you go to watch a movie.

bin1127

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
[citation][nom]kryth69[/nom]Germs are good for you. Your immune system needs practice. Suck it up.[/citation]

but since in everyday life there's not a single moment where you're not exposed to germs, reducing your exposure will stop wasting precious resources of your immune system.

pinkfloydminnesota

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
"As a child, I swam in the swamp, with the gators, at night. I havn't been sick, or afraid of the dark in over a decade. "

otoh, you do have your own DC comic book and a movie or two out ..

azconnie

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
Answering your questions in turn.

Athreex:
No, no relation, just an ole redneck. And about Jeff, the 16' is tentative. Last time I saw him I was with a freind, who mistoot the gators head for a dog in the pond. I'm not really sure what he eats, but he has his little lagoon there in the fish pond, and we don't bother each other.

pinkfloydminnesota:
I think you have me mistaken for someone else. All I have is an unpublished manuscript, and a few un-finished sequils.

NathanTR

Distinguished
May 18, 2010
I don't know about the other guys on this forum, but the excuse "Herpes makes my immune system stronger" has never worked on the ladies.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
Actually even though I'm not shocked, I am a little taken aback by this. I always thought that one of the basic steps of "recycling" these glasses would be the cleaning process. Yeah, not expecting them to be sterile whatsoever, but at least clean enough that there woulnd't be anything intense on them.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
[citation][nom]bv90andy[/nom]A friend of mine once borrowed a bike helmet. Next week he had acne all over his forehead. It sucks. I say take one pair home with you, then maybe clean them and use them every time you go to watch a movie.[/citation]

Ew.

Ciuy

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
conjunctivitis, skin infections, food poisoning, sepsis and pneumonia that happenes to bubble boys that grew up taking 10 pills each day full of vitamins and stuff....

rwpritchett

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
I read the original GH article here and here. As a microbiologist by trade, this is what I think: BFD

The fact that they were shocked that none of the glasses were sterile testifies how un-informed the author is. Furthermore, they found S. aureus on one pair out of the seven glasses tested (which was unwrapped) and it is only S. aureus that they cite as "can cause skin infections, conjunctivitis (pinkeye), food poisoning, and even sepsis or pneumonia." I actually thought they would have found more on the glasses to report about.

The article makes it sound like they found all of these disease causing bacteria on all of the glasses and, oh yeah... they also found S. aureus.

And BTW, pretty much any bacterium can cause disease. Hell, immunodeficient people can't eat yogurt or cheese because of the live cultures. Yes, S. aureus is a bit more troublesome than typical normal flora but I can't stand this kind of sensationalism. And earlier posters are correct, depending on the population and geography S. aureus is part of the normal flora of about 30% of people.

I guarantee that your phones are more contaminated with bacteria than these glasses. Trust me, I've swabbed them before.

bobusboy

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
less worried about people getting off the can and handling it. more worried about when they're really sick, or they have something like HIV or Hep a/b/ (or more likely C) as for bacteria, if it gets me it gets me. If it doesn't kill me, I'm stronger against that strain.

Status
Not open for further replies.