40" 4k or 1080p???

Duz7

Estimable
Jun 1, 2015
So i am looking to get a 40" Tv for my Gaming Pc. Now before you tell me to get a monitor, i am using this PC in a living room so i need a bigger display than what monitors have to offer. My main question is should i go 4k or 1080p? I have a higher end Pc so gaming on 4k is something i can do but will there really be that big of a difference? I should mention my eye sight isnt very good as i need to wear glasses.

Rookie_MIB

Honorable
Jul 27, 2013
Much depends on what your OS is. I think Windows still has scaling issues, so some things could wind up a little whacked out. Meanwhile, when you say 'higher' end PC, what are the specs exactly?

Many mid-range cards can struggle with 4k, while most mid-range cards can handle 1080p just fine.

daniel_blacke

Estimable
Feb 1, 2015
If you're sitting far enough(more than 5' 2") away 1080p would be fine. By then, hey, 4k is 4k.... If your rig can handle it and you have the cash to lay out, then why not? Text might be a bit small in 4k, or a bit blurry in 1080p so take those into consideration.

If you can go to a shop and test it out to be sure, then do so, because you don't wanna get it home and set it up, only to find it's not to your liking.

Mr Soup

Estimable
Feb 4, 2015
at 40 inches, unless you are sitting right on top of the TV you won't see much of a difference between 1080p and 4k especially if you require corrective lenses. Also, 4k is limited to 30hz right now which for many gamers is a failure whereas 1080p with the correct hardware will be able to do 60hz or more. Either way make sure there is a game mode or something similar that turns off all the processing. There is enough input lag in the first place without having the TV make it worse. With the money you save going 1080p you can go nuts on the Steam summer sale.

sizzling

Distinguished
Many 4k TV's suffer bad input lag which is bad for gaming, if you do go 4k make sure you research its input lag.

Also list your PC, many people have very different ideas of 'high end' and 4k needs a beast of a pc to run well