40 Pin Screen Cable, Port, and Board burnt

May 3, 2018
I bought an MSI GE73-008 GTX 1050TI laptop last year and earlier this year the left hinge started clicking. Handled it with care, but despite this the hinge broke through the hinge cover and screen bezel. I read that several laptop companies with this style of hinge have had this problem so I though an easy. After dealing with MSI’s disgusting customer service I took matters in my own hands for a DIY fix. I ordered replacement bezel and back cover from an Ebay seller in China. I am no technician but consider myself a step up from a novice and I always make sure the basics are covered before power/battery disconnected and I gently loosened the problematic tight hinge and replaced the bezel plus cover. Upon power up the screen came on but half of keyboard function was gone and there was the burning smell of electronics. Screen went dark and I immediately cut power and took apart again. I found the 40-pin LCD cable and port on the board fried. I retraced the cable and found that the cable assembly was frayed but I didn’t notice because it was covered with factory tape. I guess the stress from the compromised left hinge pulled on the cable over time. No other burn marks noted other than cables and port.
The laptop is still functioning. I hooked it up to an external monitor and keyboard. Everything boots nice and normal with no noted errors. So the LCD screen may need to be replaced. Definitely the cable/assembly, but this is where my layman questions kick in.

1. Is the port on the motherboard repairable/replaceable or even cost effective to attempt repair?
2. Since the keyboard went out as well, should the motherboard just be replaced?
3. If a new motherboard is the answer. Can a repair shop migrate over the old CPU/GPU to a made from scratch board since they are not damaged? (I don’t even know if made from scratch boards are a thing, I just assume all IT persons are wizards) Or is the only replacement option an OEM replacement?

Again, any advice is truly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c152/travric/20180503_225715.jpg

Solution
Unfortunately, you'll need to replace the screen and the motherboard. Maybe even the keyboard. Mostly likely, the CPU is in a socket. So, it can be moved to a new mobo. The GPU is probably soldered directly to the mobo. A new mobo would come with it already attached. It's going to be an expensive repair. You'll have to prices to see if it's worth repairing versus buying a new laptop.

Scottray

Respectable
Jul 14, 2016
Unfortunately, you'll need to replace the screen and the motherboard. Maybe even the keyboard. Mostly likely, the CPU is in a socket. So, it can be moved to a new mobo. The GPU is probably soldered directly to the mobo. A new mobo would come with it already attached. It's going to be an expensive repair. You'll have to prices to see if it's worth repairing versus buying a new laptop.

Solution