4K DTS from USB "audio not recognized" despite capable soundbar

romain.tancre

Prominent
Sep 26, 2017
Hi everyone,

I've just bougth a 4K TV (Vizio M65-E0) and a soundbar (Yamaha YAS-207). Their are connected via a HDMI cable (ARC).

When trying to play a file from a USB stick directly plug to the TV, the TV says "audio not recognized".

The file is encoded using DTS HD-MA. I have read than it is expected that a TV does not have the right codecs to read DTS audio. However, the soundbar is supposed to have DTS codec. So I don't understand why the audio is not pass-through the soundbar,, which can in turn decode the audio signal. It is like the audio signal is blocked at TV level and the sound bar does not have the opportunity to decode it. Unfortunately, the sound bar does not have USB ports.

The TV has the following specs:
5.1 Passthrough ARC Dolby Digital : Yes
5.1 Passthrough ARC DTS : Yes
5.1 Passthrough Optical Dolby Digital : Yes
5.1 Passthrough Optical DTS : Yes

The soundbar specs:
Dolby Digital
Dolby Pro Logic II
DTS Digital Surround

My computer being too slow to run 4K movie, the USB stick was my only solution to read 4K content on TV. I have read elsewhere that I could re-encode the audio part file leaving the video untouched, but that would be highly inconvenient to do that for each video I'd like to watch.

Do you have an idea of what's going on? What do you recommend ?

Thanks!
Cheers,
Romain

Solution
DTS HD-MA is not the same as standard DTS so the TV doesn't pass it through. The soundbar probably won't play it anyway. It may require a full HDMI connection rather than HDMI-ARC. The new version of HDMI that is coming out may support it through ARC.