4K receivers, speakers and setup for a small room questions

KentaZX

Estimable
Mar 18, 2014
I'm considering of setting up a 7.1(or.2) (dolby atmos) home theater setup in my small room (8' x 11') with a 4K receiver and bookshelf speakers if that is possible. The idea is to connect the speakers, and all my game systems to the 2 outputs which are my Samsung UNM6290 4KTV, and my Elgato Camlink for recording gameplay.

Now I would love to find a good 6-8 HDMI input and 3 HDMI output 4K receiver that is HDCP 2.2 compliant but it doesn't seem to be a lot of 3 output receivers. The other thing I'm not so sure about is what bookshelf speakers should I get or if I really need to go with tower speakers or not.

My other thought was just to get a soundbar, but that would require another HDMI output.

so can you guys fill me in on what kinds of speakers to look for, if you know any decent 6x3 4K receivers or anything else that'll help me get this setup going?

the current 4K receiver im thinking of buying is a Sony STRDN1080.

Solution
Optimally a surround sound system will have ALL the speakers the same. That way the tone won't change as sounds move around in the surround sound.

Speakers should be auditioned in person. No two people hear exactly the same. I might recommend Paradigm (which I do), but you might not like the sound and want something brighter in timbre. You need to take audio material you know well with you to a store that has a selection, and audition the speakers.
The only receiver with 3 HDMI outputs are quite a bit more expensive than the Sony you are looking at. Not a feature that most people need. In any case you could use an HDMI distribution amp to expand a single HDMI output to three if needed.
Will your Camlink work with the output of a receiver? I don't think it will work with HDCP content and the receiver may make it think that your gameplay is copy protected.
To do a 7.1.2 system you would need 3 front speakers, two side speaker, two rear speaker, and two ceiling mount or Atmos speakers plus a subwoofer. The receiver you link to would do 5.1.2. The speakers you use, especially for the fronts, greatly affect the quality of sound. Better speakers are clearer at low volumes. You budget would have to stretch to this many speakers.
Atmos works best with ceiling speakers. The ones they sell that bounce the sound off the ceiling don't work nearly as well so you could hold off on those.
Soundbars are not made to work with AVRs. There are 3 in 1 passive LCR speakers that are made to work with AVRs.

KentaZX

Estimable
Mar 18, 2014

sound bars are not made to work with AVRs? welp that means I only need 2 HDMI output now and go with the multiple speakers route.

also, HDMI distribution amp? I've never heard of that before, can you explain and do you have any recommendations?

as for your comment regarding to HDCP and my camlink, I think you are correct in a normal sense, but I've heard that the camlink uses the same driver as the HD60 pro card and I've heard people were able to get HDMI passthrough with that, which im assuming that can help with my situation and I just need to research on that more. If not, then I DO have a ViewHD HDMI splitter which strips HDCP, and since im recording in 1080p in a seperate HDMI output in the receiver, that should leave in this example, HDMI out 1 in full 4K (my TV) and HDMI out 2 (cam link with View HD splitter) in 1080p right?

As for the speakers part, I kinda knew how many I need and that I would need ceiling speakers more preferably for the atmos. I just don't know what BRAND of speakers are good and what are the specs I should look for that is gonna give me the right sound quality with the AVR. For ceiling speakers, obviously I have to find ones that are
"dolby atmos certified", but for the 3 front , 2 sides and 2 backs speakers and the sub woofer, what would be recommended?

kanewolf

Judicious
Optimally a surround sound system will have ALL the speakers the same. That way the tone won't change as sounds move around in the surround sound.

Speakers should be auditioned in person. No two people hear exactly the same. I might recommend Paradigm (which I do), but you might not like the sound and want something brighter in timbre. You need to take audio material you know well with you to a store that has a selection, and audition the speakers.

Solution