4K UHD TV and 1080P Reciever

Feb 20, 2018
Hello, I just stumbled on another conundrum. I have a Sony 4K UHD TV and a Pioneer SC57 receiver which all components are connected to (the receiver controls all audio and video).

So I just upgraded my cable box from a 1080P to 4K UHD box...well low and behold, my cable box is limiting my resolution to 1080P because of the SC57 (which is limited to 1080P resolution). When I connect the TV directly into the cable box, I get beautiful 4K UHD resolution.

My question is, is there a product out there that will allow me to split the HDMI signal in two? One for the audio and another for the TV...BUT!!! Have the TV connection be the primary link between the TV and cable box...? Otherwise the cable box will sense the receiver and limit resolution to 1080P.

Or is my only recourse to once again upgrade the receiver to a 4K UHD?

Thanks!!

Solution
Found a solution to my own problem!!!!!

Two solutions:
1. My TV (Sony XBR-75X850D) has an optical output which supports Dolby Digital and DTS along with PCM. My Pioneer SC57 also has a set of optical inputs (supports the same formats)... So connect TV directly to cable box to get 4K UHD and send audio to the A/V receiver via optical cable.

2. I read the manuals and both the TV and A/V receiver support HDMI ARC. I have never used this feature, but from reading the manuals, seems like I can use the TV ARC HDMI port to send audio to the A/V receiver via its ARC HDMI port.

I am so ecstatic!!! Don't have to spend another $3K on another A/V receiver!!!
Feb 20, 2018

Unfortunately, no. The cable box does not have audio out.

Do you know of any audio extractors that maintain Dolby digital?

Feb 20, 2018
Found a solution to my own problem!!!!!

Two solutions:
1. My TV (Sony XBR-75X850D) has an optical output which supports Dolby Digital and DTS along with PCM. My Pioneer SC57 also has a set of optical inputs (supports the same formats)... So connect TV directly to cable box to get 4K UHD and send audio to the A/V receiver via optical cable.

2. I read the manuals and both the TV and A/V receiver support HDMI ARC. I have never used this feature, but from reading the manuals, seems like I can use the TV ARC HDMI port to send audio to the A/V receiver via its ARC HDMI port.

I am so ecstatic!!! Don't have to spend another $3K on another A/V receiver!!!

Solution
Feb 20, 2018
Used the ARC feature and after an hour of diving into endless menus and functions, I finally got it to work.

Works great. But my only disappointment now is that the TV controls the audio format. When all was driven through the reciever, the receiver converted w everything to surround sound. Now the TV does that and I'm seeing a lot of programming in stereo... ugh...

I wonder if feeding a digital signal via fiber optic from TV to receiver would cure that and give the receiver control of audio formats?