mansepa

Prominent
Nov 26, 2017
Planning to split HDMI out from a Yamaha receiver to TV and soundbar to boost center sound without latency problems. Will it work?

Solution
I don't know if you will get any sound at all. The receiver has no reason to send audio out of the HDMI going to the TV. It well might be delayed even if it did.
It would not be a boosted center channel anyway. The soundbar would play either LR front or LCR front channels. It would screw things up.
If you need more center than you can raise the level in the speaker set up menu of the receiver.
If you wanted to use the soundbar instead of your center channel the right way to do that would be to use a speaker to line level converter. That would lower the center speaker output of the receiver so it can be safely connected to the aux input on the soundbar.
I don't know if you will get any sound at all. The receiver has no reason to send audio out of the HDMI going to the TV. It well might be delayed even if it did.
It would not be a boosted center channel anyway. The soundbar would play either LR front or LCR front channels. It would screw things up.
If you need more center than you can raise the level in the speaker set up menu of the receiver.
If you wanted to use the soundbar instead of your center channel the right way to do that would be to use a speaker to line level converter. That would lower the center speaker output of the receiver so it can be safely connected to the aux input on the soundbar.

Solution

mansepa

Prominent
Nov 26, 2017

>> Just saw that newer receivers (and I need a 4K) can have two "zones" so I may, if the soundbar does not work and I use it in another room, get a newer receiver and just put the second zone in the same room. Would I be correct in assuming that would work?<<