5.1 channels not being sent through HDMI splitter

bobode75

Honorable
Oct 25, 2013
I recently bought a 1 in, 4 out HDMI splitter. The input is from a PC, and the two outputs are 1) Yamaha receiver; and 2) a Samsung TV.

The video works fine, but the audio will only play stereo when both output devices are connected. If only the receiver is connected, then I can get the full 7.1 channels, but not when the other tv is connected.

I suspect the audio output is mixing down to the lowest common configuration (i.e. 2 channels for the tv). Would this be correct? And is there any way around this?

Solution

Hi Bobode75 - did you end up finding a solution for this? I am trying to do exactly the same thing and running into the same problem (5.1 works to one endpoint which is Yamaha amp and Samsung TV, but...

bobode75

Honorable
Oct 25, 2013

Hi, yes that was my original set up and it worked fine. However I want to have additional tv's connected so I can watch the same thing in another room of the house. That is why I got the splitter; and that is where im running into issues.
Just to clarify, the pc connects to the splitter, which in turn connects to 1) the receicer (which then connects to the lounge tv): and 2) to an additional tv in our bedroom

otrain

Honorable
Nov 23, 2013

Hi Bobode75 - did you end up finding a solution for this? I am trying to do exactly the same thing and running into the same problem (5.1 works to one endpoint which is Yamaha amp and Samsung TV, but when a second TV is added to my HDMI splitter it seems to renegotiate down to 2 channel). It is frustrating!

Solution

bobode75

Honorable
Oct 25, 2013
Hi Bobode75 -did you end up finding a solution for this? I am trying to do exactly the same thing and running into the same problem (5.1 works to one endpoint which is Yamaha amp and Samsung TV, but when a second TV is added to my HDMI splitter it seems to renegotiate down to 2 channel). It is frustrating![/quotemsg]

Hi there, no i havent found a solution as yet. The only thing I can think of is to use a reciever with pass through feature and then connect the splitter after the reciever. Havent tested as yet as requires finding someone with the right reciever to borrow for a day or two!

Please let me know if you find a solution!