5.1 Greyed out on my PC, was working yesterday

sf1989

Prominent
Dec 23, 2017
Using a 1080ti graphics card to do audio. I run an HDMI to my receiver which has a 5.1 system hooked up to get the audio there. Then display port to my monitor for video.

I was playing DOOM in full surround yesterday no problems. Today no sound. I boot up my PC today and the 5.1 option is greyed out in windows. Tried updating drivers for NIVIDIA, updating mobo drivers for audio, windows trouble shoot. nothing. I can get sound if i select stereo but i want surround. Cant even select it.

Windows sonic and dolby atmos for headphones still works. But I cant select surround for my PC gaming through the speakers.

Solution
For my receiver you can lose stuff if the input gets changed. So while you checked the PC side of things, check the receiver as well. I have mine hooked up to video 2 and if the Mrs. wants to listen to the radio my PC will not see the receiver any more.

4745454b

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
For my receiver you can lose stuff if the input gets changed. So while you checked the PC side of things, check the receiver as well. I have mine hooked up to video 2 and if the Mrs. wants to listen to the radio my PC will not see the receiver any more.

Solution

sf1989

Prominent
Dec 23, 2017
I checked the reciever. The HDMI is plugged into "game" and the input is set to game. I was watching TV last night and had it to TV for a bit, then changed it back to game this morning. Ive done it countless times before and never had this issue. Should be able to set the input to the correct thing and have it work like always. Can't figure out how im being blind.