5.1 headset - Sounds coming from behind are extremely quiet

aa777nx

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012
When using my Kingston HyperX cloud headset, I've noticed that sounds that are coming from behind me are almost inaudible. This makes the headset virtually useless to me. For example, someone could be standing right behind me, firing wildly into the air, and I would literally not be able to hear them. I've tried changing the audio levels in the speaker properties, and I've tried making them louder using the Realtek audio manager's room correction, but the sounds coming from behind me are still too quiet. Any possible solutions?

Solution
Check the Sound Control Panel, and see if you can use the Configure button on your sound device, and make sure it is in Stereo mode, and not 5.1 or anything else. To test, you could try plugging in the headset to the Black speaker out. Are you using the front or rear panel audio outs?

festerovic

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
Check the Sound Control Panel, and see if you can use the Configure button on your sound device, and make sure it is in Stereo mode, and not 5.1 or anything else. To test, you could try plugging in the headset to the Black speaker out. Are you using the front or rear panel audio outs?

Solution