5.1 sound with reciever issues

reggae234

Honorable
Aug 10, 2013
I have a desktop hooked up to a pioneer vsx-820 receiver and then to a 46 in tv. My gpu is a gtx 460 Hawk (MSI). I have noticed that almost nothing plays in 5.1 tho my reciever is capable. I have configured the speakers and on a test all 5.1 function as expected. I however seem to only get my FR and FL with 95 percent of media/gaming. Is there a way to force even a 2.1 signal to play on all 5.1 speakers so i can play music loud without stressing my FR and FL? Do i need a dedicated sound card? please let me know and thanks in advance

Thomas R

It sounds like you do get surround sound sometimes? You would need to make sure that the software and driver settings are correct. This could be in the control for you video or audio output since you don't say how the pc is connected to the receiver (HDMI IT sound like). It will not harm the front speakers if they are used with out the surrounds or center. If you want surround output on 2.1 try other surround modes on your receiver. One should work for you.

reggae234

Honorable
Aug 10, 2013
yes hdmi out and i have tried playing with my receiver to no avail, I know just using 2 speakers wont hurt them but if i want to play it super loud only utilizing 2/5 just pushes those 2 very hard. i guess il tinker with the reciever more.