5.1 speaker not working

uvais

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2011
My Altec Lansing VS3251 5.1 in not working properly on windows 7 ultimate.. only front speakers and sub is working.Am using Intel DH55TC mother board with i3.. I had no sound card ... Am slow in English so please ignore if there is any mistake

it sounds like you are using integrated sound (which is okay)

windows sound effects, youtube, music players often do not use the rear speakers. you end up with a 2.1/3.1 sounding system normally

movies and games normally do use your whole setup so you should get 5.1 sound.

if you are not worried about "surround sound" and instead just want "some type of sound" from the speakers then you can always go into your audio properties and make the rear speakers copy the front speakers. if you play a movie/game where surround sound is supported you could either change the settings back to default or play without surround sound.

its how i deal with a 5.1 system hooked up to a computer. although i have an easier method of switching (i use a home theatre receiver so all i do is push a button!)

jacobboe89

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011

just keep in mind that assuming the settings and everything are configured right , depending on the source there may not be anything for the surround speakers to play , and alot of times when there is it isn't very noticeable all the time