5.1 speakers all of the sudden have very faint, low-quality sound?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hey all,

Two months ago I purchased a Yamaha 5.1 speaker system and a Harman AVR 1565 Receiver to go along with it. For a while the system was working splendidly; I couldn't have been more satisfied. However, I had to leave home for a few days and when I came back and started playing sound from my computer there seemed to be a strange, single clicking-sound and suddenly my speakers have been dysfunctional ever since.

I am obviously no technical expert by any means but here are some of the observations I've gathered:
- The sound coming from the speakers is very, very faint. There also seems to be a great deal of distortion coming from the speakers at the same time.
- Whenever I adjust the volume on the receiver, the front left speaker emits a clicking-sound. Not only that, but the volume will not actually adjust. Whether negative 79db or negative 1db, the volume transmitted from the speakers seems to be constant.
- I have tried replacing the A/V cable and that did nothing. I have tried testing the speakers out on my phone instead of my laptop and the speakers still are dysfunctional (so it's not an issue of my computer hardware). Basically, it comes down to something being wrong with my receiver or something being wrong with my speakers.

Ideally, I'd like to get my receiver/speakers working again soon. I'd appreciate any feedback/troubleshooting assistance I could get, since I really don't know much about speaker systems (it was difficult enough figuring out how to set up the system). If there is anything I can do that can help provide you with more information, please let me know and I'll be glad to report back.

Thanks,
Tyler Foote

Z1NONLY

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012
It's very unlikely that all your speakers went bad at the same time. I suspect your amp (receiver) may be bad or set to the wrong setting. Check that your "A" and "B" speaker settings are where they should be, that your input is properly selected and that you are not running some sort of weird signal processing.

billcat479

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2006

I'm not a expert, far from it but I'll give a few idea's though if they help or not here's a try anyway.
You said you were away from your house and them came back to the problem right? Did you notice if anything else was different like a dig. clock was not set or like mine the microwave lights were blinking?
Do you have a good surge protector on the equipment? Was there any storms, ask you neighbors if they had any surges like lights blinking or anything. Maybe you got a spike that did some damage to it. Find out of any power lines were being worked on in your area if possible.
If that isn't it try unplugging it and let it sit for 10 min. or so and plug it back in, I don't know if doing any kind of resetting would work with what you have but I'm just throwing out guess's.
I tend to think if it's working ok and then it's not there has to be a reason and power spikes is my best guess. I'd check other electronic devices and see if anything else may have been effected but each may have better (or worse) built in surge protection that can fend off all but the worst.
If that's not it and you can't get it working send it back if it's under warranty and have them fix or replace it is my last ditch advice. Hope any of this was a help..

G

How do I go about checking my A and B speaker? I am unfamiliar with the terminology and my amplifier instruction manual doesn't mention those settings. I am using the correct input, although I do interestingly find that when I use other inputs (CD or TV rather than AUX1) the sound is louder albeit more distorted. The same issues persist regardless of input - no volume control, clicking-sound when I try to change the volume with the remote, etc.

Z1NONLY

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012

Most receivers have an "A" and "B" button so that you can use two speakers or four. They also have many different digital signal processing modes that can make things sound very bad.

Now that you mentioned that there is no volume control and a clicking sound when you try to adjust with the remote, I fear your receiver is bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.