6 motherboard audio ports to 5.1 system?

lipusal

Honorable
Apr 14, 2013
Hi everyone! :D

I have my rig with a Biostar TZ77B motherboard (BIOSTAR link and Newegg link), and it has 6 audio ports on the back. So far I've only used the mic-in and line-out for my 2.1 system, but I'd like to know how, if at all possible, I would be able to hook this up to a 5.1 system.

I've been reading different questions and there doesn't seem to be one definite way to do it, so I was wondering what could apply to my case. The audio reciever I'd hook it up with is a Yamaha RX-V461 (Product page and Manual, there's a detail of the inputs and outputs on page 10).

The only problem I see is that my motherboard has 3.5-mm jacks and the receiver has RCA-like sized jacks. How could I go about going from one to the other? A cable adapter, an optical converter, etc?

Thanks a million for your time in advance! :)

Solution
No problem,

I just listed that one link as an example, just make sure you have enough length to make the connection. But yeah, it's just a stereo 3.5mm to RCA L/R adapter.

For the connection;
Line out -> Front L/R
Rear out -> Rear L/R
(Side out would be for 7.1 which you aren't using)
Center -> Center & Sub

Red should match up for front and rear, but I honest don't know which in the center and which is the sub which is why you'll just have to hook an RCA up and see which one it is. But in the control panel for the onboard audio there should be a place where you test each speaker so see if it's hooked up right. If the L/R is switched, just switch the plugs, same with the center/sub.

ien2222

Distinguished
Hey there :)

You'll need three 3.5mm to RCA adapters like this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1050NV8924

Then you will plug them into your Multi channel input. Just be very careful with the Sub/Center hook up, since you won't know which rca jack carries what until you test it, make sure you have your volume very low. You don't want to have the bass for the sub sent to your center and blow it out because it was too loud. I'd assume that the AVR wouldn't send the entire frequency range and do some bass management but multi channel inputs could bypass that.

lipusal

Honorable
Apr 14, 2013

Thanks for your reply! I was looking through the motherboard manual, and there's this picture describing the connectors:

0fnjo7p

Does this help at all? It doesn't clarify much for me at first glance...
Two more questions: 1) I'm assuming I'll match the colors when I connect, right? I know it's a stupid question but you never know, maybe it's not necessarily the case here. 2) Will something like this do the job too? They're much cheaper.

Thanks again!

P.S: At least on my end the picture doesn't show. Here's the link to it

ien2222

Distinguished
No problem,

I just listed that one link as an example, just make sure you have enough length to make the connection. But yeah, it's just a stereo 3.5mm to RCA L/R adapter.

For the connection;
Line out -> Front L/R
Rear out -> Rear L/R
(Side out would be for 7.1 which you aren't using)
Center -> Center & Sub

Red should match up for front and rear, but I honest don't know which in the center and which is the sub which is why you'll just have to hook an RCA up and see which one it is. But in the control panel for the onboard audio there should be a place where you test each speaker so see if it's hooked up right. If the L/R is switched, just switch the plugs, same with the center/sub.

Solution

lipusal

Honorable
Apr 14, 2013

Great, thanks :)
I'll be able to try this in a few months, I'll let you know how it goes!