sparda1

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2007
Hi. I'm thinking of buying a 7.1 headset. I've read that USB headsets (at least the surround sound ones) have built-in sound cards, would I need to buy a dedicated sound card to use a 3.5mm one? Are there any things to consider before purchasing one?

The headset I have now has rather small headphones, and I would like a new set as they can become uncomfortable after extended use, but if I decide not to buy a new one, would something like the Razer Surround software be a decent alternative to a true 7.1 headset?

Thanks.

Ahmed Hindy

Estimable
Jul 9, 2014
thaere are no true 7.1 headsets, all are virtal and got their own soundcard. most motherboards (new one at least) come with a built-in soundcard. If you have a $120+ shinning new motherboard then no need for a soundcard. 3.5mm jack headphones rely heavily on soundcards (not built it)

Killmeplsok

Estimable
Dec 5, 2014
I personally only consider a proper speaker setup as a true 7.1 surround audio.

Sure, those so call "true 7.1" headphones like the Razer Tiamat works but the driver quality are utter crap, probably why they could afford to put multiple of them in each side of the cans. I for one don't think virtual surround are worse than those so call true surround, especially when most of them in the market sound like crap in a way or another, including the Roccat Kave and Turtle beach headsets.

If you have a decent headphones, like Sennheiser HD598, Audio Technica m50x, or even the HyperX Cloud with a decent surround software, it could sound a lot better than any 7.1 surround gaming headset in the market.