8th gen with 8GB Ram or 7th Gen with 16 GB Ram?

profond

Prominent
Dec 10, 2017
I want to buy DELL XPS 13 laptop. But i have 2 choices. First is the Intel's 8th generation processor with 8GB Ram and the second is 7th generation with 16 Gb Ram. So what u think is more better. I've heard that 8th gen is more faster and better then 7th, but what about ram? I cant get 8th gen with 16 ram. So please help me. What will be a better choice for me as a future network engineer and kinda i want to use VM with Linux to learn. Thanks for all.

profond

Prominent
Dec 10, 2017

How can i make it? Its like External Hard Drive but with Ram?

gigantusmagnus

Prominent
Dec 22, 2017
link the laptop model,
unless the laptop is RAM-upgradable, then you can add more RAM into it, most up to 32GB, some 64GB
it is not like External Hard Drive, since you put it inside the RAM slot

mazboy

Prominent
Dec 28, 2017
I'm inclined to go with the i7-7xxx and the 16GB of RAM if price is a consideration. But the best choice is the i7-8xxx and 16GB RAM. Also, get the biggest SSD you can afford that is offered.

profond

Prominent
Dec 10, 2017

İt's not RAM-upgradable.

gigantusmagnus

Prominent
Dec 22, 2017

well then, the 7th with 16GB is your best bet
8gb difference is to much while 1 gen difference is not noticeable at standard gaming (unless you comparing i5 to i7)

dudeman509

Estimable
Jan 23, 2015
Ew. The 7Y75 isn't quite a 7000 series processor like your typical 7200u/7500u. It's an ultra super low power processor that is...super low-powered. Fine for general web surfing or office tasks, and great battery life. That is about where its usefulness ends. Some of those models don't even have fans, so once the processor heats up to a certain point, it throttles back out of turbo boost to its VERY low base speed.

The Amazon linked PC has LOOOOOOOOOOOTS more processor power, and 4 real cores to boot. The XPS 13 9360 has its RAM soldered in, though. See if you can find one with 16 GB if you think that you'll have a need for that much. 8 GB is generally fine for almost any typical laptop duties, however. Heavy mutlitasking, lots of browser tabs, or gaming while running other stuff in the background make a use case for 16 GB.

Apr 18, 2018

I'm not exactly sure what you're going to be doing with the computer as a network engineer, but if you're only learning how to become one, either computer will work fine for streaming tutorials, creating presentations, etc. Yes, the 8th gen is slightly faster than the 7th gen, but unless you really need to crank out that bit of extra performance the 7th will work amazing. 16gb of ram really only comes in handy for workstations, although some Triple-A title games are starting to need more than the standard 8gb as well. Best of luck!