"A few things share that name, which one do you want?" When asking "Alexa, Turn on light1"

vinothsekar.m

Prominent
Jan 18, 2018
Alexa used to turn on my lights whenever I said something like, "Alexa, turn on light1". I have 4 lights. ligh1, light2, light3 and light4. After two weeks i got replied from Alexa "A few things share that name, which one do you want?" When asking "Alexa, Turn on light1"

how to fix this error?

HDSteve55

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
Same thing here. Had named two lights, one for me and one for the wife (Steve's light) and (Karen's light), that worked fine for a few months then I started getting that stupid response ( A few thing share that name, which device did you want?). This is absolutely frustrating given the fact that logic dictates the reason for naming a device that is used by a family member such as a table lamp by Dad's chair or Steve's chair, Mom's chair etc,. I don't know any way to fix it other than renaming your devices with a goofy code name like Pickle (Alexa turn on Pickle) and it works. Even Dingle-berry works, or Aardvark. So in the meantime I'm naming my wife's light, "Star light" and mine "Moon light" I don't expect a fix overnight, or for Alexa to tell me it's okay the give a device a persons name... well except for Alexa.