A fiesta with VISTA with the KillerNotebooks Wakizachi

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gavman42

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
It gave my work desktop a 3
P D805 stock
2G of ram(only non crap part)
40 GB HD
Intel Extreme integrated gfx 950(384Mb of system mem)

mikeyp410

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
Do you know that the Genuine Windows advantage tool automatically contacts MS and sends user information to them without your consent or knowledge?

No I did not know that but you know what... they can kma anyhow. I really do not care for microsoft too bad that you pretty much HAVE to use it in todays world.

mikeyp410

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
Wow, who will actually spend $499 for the full retail package when you can probably get the OEM version for at least half off newegg when they release it.

The problem with that though is they still got you buy the balls there too. If you buy a OEM and your MOBO frys or whatnot you ust wasted your moey becuase OEM is specific to that machine compared to buying retail when they will let you transfer the license. Plain and simple Microsoft is getting worse and worse. Large corporations is pretty much what they want, they can care less about the little guy.

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
I wanted to post a follow up to what a memory HOG this thing is. I know it is BETA software, but to give you an idea, in the picture you will see in the top right corner a widget that looks like a tachometer on a car.

The larger one is the CPU, it is at 0%
The smaller one is the memory coocking in at 26% - that's 26% of 2 Gigs BTW to run a couple widgets, have 1 system window open, open the START menu and ue a screen capture utility called Snag It.

520 MB for that? It seems like a lot.

mikeyp410

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
Seriously!! Ya figure that XP does not run to smoothly withough 368 MB of ram. Now you take all this new junk added to vista and it really will not run smoothly withought 512MB even after they fix everything with it. Now I know most machines nowadays come with or people put in as much ram but considering that do we really want to purchase 4 gigs of ram??

Take a ratio of 2 years ago a general machine could run smooth on 256MB and most people would load up on a gig or 2 of ram so it would be 1:4 or 1:8

Now take that and double it and most people will be putting 4 gigs in there boxes. Just went computers were down in price.... they go right back up. Yay microsux!!! I am serisouly thinking of going back to Red Hat. I have not used it since I bought it years ago but atleast it was not a hog or infringes on your privacy. Plus I dont have to install a freaking security update every 5 days.

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
Have you ever tried Linspire?
page_ss_top.jpg

page_ss_sshot6_large.jpg

mikeyp410

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
How is the administration? My biggest problem with Linux is I do not know any Unix. I am quite knowledgable about microsoft products and administration is easy through the command line.

Pretty much like the perks that XPpro has compared to something like XP-Home. more administration can be done. I basically have been living in the Microsux cave my whole life.

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
I am in the same boat as you.

As far as answering about Linux, I have a book for Dummies and that's about it.

I know of Linspire, I have seen it, actually have it, but haven't instaled it and played with it at all.

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
I believe the pay version is just if you want the internet update option. Kind of like XP how you can log into the internet site and get updates, but it is on all the open source stuff.

mikeyp410

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
Great, I remember when I got Red Hat that the differeence was Instructions on how to use. Open source did not come with them or support but the retail came with support and instructions.

mikeyp410

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
I have used Mandrake (didnt care for it) Red Hat (Liked it) and Knopix (liked it). THey all ran well but I had issues installing Mandrake with all the disk partitioning and such.

Blackhawk3D

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2004
If you want to try Linux, get something like PCLinuxOS, it's very easy to use, install is a snap, I'm still playing with differing Linux Distros but this one was as easy to use or easier than Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.