A fiesta with VISTA with the KillerNotebooks Wakizachi

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
Yes DELL is my favorite competitor:
Last year, to discourage people from calling at all, Dell removed the toll-free service number from its Web site...

The following is a direct quote from BusinessWeek magazine, June 2006.

Dell's laser focus on cost efficiency has long been a core strategy. But like Home Depot, Dell's cost-cutting efforts have alienated its customers. The "direct" sales model of selling computers to consumers via phone and the Internet eliminates the costs of shipping to stores and tracking inventory. But outsiders say that mentality also leads to moves that almost seem designed to put customers last. Dell, for instance, sraffs some customer service call centers with fewer than 500 workers. A center that small is almost guaranteed to be frequently overwhelmed.

Enter Richard L. "Dick" Hunter, Dell's new head of customer service. If he has his way, workers in the company's call centers will soon have a colored flag to raise when they run into trouble helping a customer. When the flag goes up, a supervisor will come running to help out. It's an idea Hunter cribbed from Dell's computer factories, where an assembler can raise a similar alarm. "In the factory, if there's a problem, he flicks on a light and the next-level [builder] comes running," says Hunter. In the call center, "why not do the same?"

An eight-year veteran who made his reputation overseeing Dell's legendarily efficient assembly plants, Hunter is remarkably candid about how hard it will be to turn things around. In 2005, Dell's customer satisfaction rating fell 6.3% to a score of 74 in the Michigan ranking, the steepest decline in the industry. Analysts say poor service is complicating the $56 billion Round Rock (Tex.) giant's struggle to get back on the growth path. Competitors have matched its prices, rolled out aggressive marketing campaigns, and raised their own service levels. In the U.S. consumer market, Dell's first quarter share fell to 28% from 31% accord to researcher IDC. "Dell has to repair its reputational damage," says Jason Maxwell, an analyst at TCW Group, wich owns about 25 million Dell shares.

Hunter thinks the solution is to treat the call center like a factory. Now, many cell center reps are trained to solve only one type of problem--say, a hardware glitch on a Dimension desktop. That explains why it's so common for the agent who answers a call to have to transfer it in search of a techie with the right expertise. Hunter estimates that almost 45% of calls to Del require at least one transfer. "That's terrible," he says. "It's like delivering materials to the wrong factory 45% of the time." Last year, to discourage people from calling at all, Dell removed the toll-free service number from its Web site, a move that Hunter says "falls into the stupid category." It put the number back a couple weeks ago.

TheGreatGrapeApe

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003
This thread is over a year old, the GF8800 desktop didn't exist at the time, so... What choo smokin' Willis ? [:thegreatgrapeape:5]

BTW, the GF8800M-GTS gets smoked by the GTX. [:thegreatgrapeape:2]

ajv123

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2008
"Interestingly enough, this produces a performance rating of 3? I guess the driver issue is bringing me down more than I though. Obviously it isn't geared toward notebooks, but since people can think outside of Microsofts silly algorithm, you can see that the Wakizachi is 100% Vista Aero ready!"

Windows Vista the one and only Boat Anchor Wear.

My honking laptop was doing great in Vista until I figured out how to gather thr drivers and slipstream the SATA driver into XP Pro SP2 and WOW, folks, Take Off was achieved! SP-3 made it even go faster yet. I can get all the effects of vista in XP and achieve much better efficiency.

So enjoy your Vista but know you are carrying a Boot anchor. :bounce:

ap90033

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I know sorry.. When i ordered it i was suprised i got it for that price. Then it arrived and let me just say pictures do not come close to how cool this thing looks... :) Then about 2 days later best buy marked it up to $1699! LOL Good timing eh!

ap90033

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Oh sorry just saw this, i will run it (have to download it first). Keep in mind my cpu is just a dual 1.67 ( I plan to upgrade to a 2.6 or 2.8 in a year or two)...

ap90033

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
hey saw this a really good review on my laptop
http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=4208

He is getting 4600 in PC Mark05. The same laptop with the Core 2 2.8 gets a 7350 score (not bad)... There are rumors this thing might be able to handle the Penryn Quad Core but dont know for sure yet... None of these scores are with overclocking so there is some more room for higher scores as I have heard the 8800gts runs very cool, I may try to OC sometime in the future but to be honest dont need to right now...

A friend of mine bought his for $1199 from Best Buy which I consider to be a wonderful deal. :)

ap90033

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I would but COD4 and all my other games play maxed with max resolution for my screen (1440x900) VERY smooth so I see no need. I want to wait and find out if it will handle quad core and if so I will get one of those...

theworminator

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
I can't run it anymore because some video codecs interfere with the test (and I'd have to uninstall all of them to make sure it'll work), but my score /before/ I overclocked my system was 5893 PCmarks. It should be a bit higher now, maybe just brushing the 6000 range.

ap90033

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Sweet. I wonder what my pc would do in 3dmark06 under default res (it runs it at 1280x800 I think) since it runs it a notch lower because my screen res is only 1440x900. Any idea how much that affects the performance?

3d06 runs at 1280x1024 at default. For point of reference, our systems with the 7950GTX score anywhere between 5300-6000. I would expect yours to be around 7k.

Status
Not open for further replies.