A fiesta with VISTA with the KillerNotebooks Wakizachi

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeyp410

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
I would have switched already if it wasn't for my games...

I would have switched too if I knew how to administer it. 8)

I have a whole network of computers,NAS and a network printer with XBOX and Playstation on it too, so I dont want to deal with not being able to network them or the hastle of it anyhow.

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
I would have switched already if it wasn't for my games...

I think if I was in charge of spearheading Linux acceptance I would take a look at one of Microstiff's biggest fears... there Office Suite falling from grace.

Start small, I wouldn't try to go for the O.S. market wholesale, I would really pump up their Open Office 2.0 software as an alternative to MS Office.

First with a national Ad campaign just like MAC has done that points out that Sun Open Office 2.0 is 100% compatible with MS Office. My tag line would be, “Free - This makes sense!” or “Free... Simple and Indestructible.”

Taking a page out of Apple's book I would hit all the schools and start it at a grassroots level and get this software in the schools.

Simultaneously I would go for the corporate marketplace and hammer them with how much it costs to license MS Office. Weasel into corporate at the desktop level and you have laid a very treacherous minefield for MS. This needs to be supported by corporate training classes in Sun Open Office. This is where they can recoup some of the "free" software costs. Businesses have training budgets completely independent from software budgets in most cases. If they need Office training it is budgeted no matter who's suite it is.

Then look at the gamers, who tend to be the early innovators and least resistant to change. Linux HAS to be a viable gaming platform... period. They have to get these developers writing for Linux. Without it, it just just isn't going to happen.

With a 3 pronged approach to the “problem” of Microsoft being in control of every cotton picken' part of your computing life (and the future) headway can be made. To just have them talk about it as an “alternative” does little to entice anyone. Do you get more chicks in an alternative fuel vehicle or a Lambo? To be a Lamborghini they need to have the flash for the gamers and the BASE of the schools and corporate. The rest will take care of itself.

Imagine a kid that comes home from school and says, “[Parent], I learned this on the computer today. Can we do it here?” and the first things that come to that parents mind are:
1.Cost
2.Complexity
3.Time it will take them to do it
Then that kid has a business card (distributed by the thousands with the software to the school) with a download site and it's FREE with the instructions of
1.Download
2.Run setup.exe
3.Enjoy
Time to install - 7 minutes
Technical proficiency level required: LOW

Now imagine that same child's parent has come home from work and after installing Open Office says, “Hey, this is the same thing we have at work.”

What just happened? We had a very simple strategy implemented that just cost MS 2 licenses and 3 people. More importantly the future generation “Doesn't NEED Microstiff.”

For more answers to the worlds problems go to www.KillerNotebooks.com

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
I found this Sun Times article on Vista pricing.

Vista to sell for $100 to $399

Microsoft Corp. is selling its new Windows Vista operating system for $100 to $399 and will make the program available on Jan. 30, according to Amazon.com Inc.'s Web site. Amazon, which is already taking orders for Vista, lists the price for Vista Ultimate, the most expensive retail product, at $399 for a full version and $259 for an upgrade. Vista Business costs $299 for a full version and $199 for an upgrade. An upgrade to the software's most basic home version costs $100. Microsoft declined to confirm the prices.

I still can't believe they are going to ask $399 for this O.S.!

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
They do have the DX-10 trump card for most gamers. IF it is "all that".

I'm like you (and 99% of the gamers out there I'm sure),,,
I'll wait until there is a box of cracker jack with it. :wink:

mikeyp410

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
Well then that really doesn't help me since I am not a gamer. :?

Really there is no need at all for me to upgrade, Plus with all the stupid piracy crap that they will have with it I will most likely not even be able to try it out. AND I do not want to spend the 200$ to upgrade my Vid Card.

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
It just seems kind of silly to me, that if you want to curb piracy, instead of securitying the end user to death, drop the freaking price!

Same thing goes for Ebay... these guys get so greedy they forget WHY the stuff is happening. I would love to sell on Ebay and add that potentially large market to my company, but hte stinking FEES are so ridiculous it doesn't make sense.

You can throw the BIG OIL & the U.S. government in there for just TOTAL GREED FACTOR. Everyone is crying for government intervention and investigations, the bottom line why they don't do it is because the government makes more per gallon than anyone!

They have no costs whatsoever in retrieving, pumping, refining, moving the product, absolutely no infrastructure or risk involved in any way, yet take a GIGANTIC cut of what we pay at the pump.

As Gordon Gekko says, "Greed is good", but in the same token, as Doc said in Young Guns, "Billy, we're good, but this is starting to get ridiculous."

mikeyp410

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
It just seems kind of silly to me, that if you want to curb piracy, instead of securitying the end user to death, drop the freaking price!

Same thing goes for Ebay... these guys get so greedy they forget WHY the stuff is happening. I would love to sell on Ebay and add that potentially large market to my company, but hte stinking FEES are so ridiculous it doesn't make sense.

You can throw the BIG OIL & the U.S. government in there for just TOTAL GREED FACTOR. Everyone is crying for government intervention and investigations, the bottom line why they don't do it is because the government makes more per gallon than anyone!

They have no costs whatsoever in retrieving, pumping, refining, moving the product, absolutely no infrastructure or risk involved in any way, yet take a GIGANTIC cut of what we pay at the pump.

As Gordon Gekko says, "Greed is good", but in the same token, as Doc said in Young Guns, "Billy, we're good, but this is starting to get ridiculous."

you f*n said it!! Couldnt of said it any better myself. That was so right on I cant even add to it. lol

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
Is there a big enough difference from DX9 to DX10 for a 400$ upgrade?
That remains to be seen, but for me... no.

Seeing the shadow of a piece of grass for the "realistic impact"... man, I can't even see the shadow of the REAL grass outside! I am playing a game to relax, I think I still have about 2% of my imagination left that I don't have to be spoon fed every last detail in the game.

I'm not spending the extra money on a video card and O.S. to support DX-10 when I can just go get a Sony PS3 and have a BluRay player and have it be good looking and simple.

Simple is the key. So many of these companies go wrong and have a great product (or pretty good one) then they come out with new versions, and at first they are really good stuff because they are fixing bugs, or adding improvements that they have listened to the customer about and added, you knoe, little things.

Then, somewhere down the road (I am going to use a really great program that now I think is bloated crap... NERO), they look back and they have added everything to it, and it's almost like you can't figure out where they added all this stuff.

I mean when you buy the thing the tech support number is a plumber becasue your O.S. or your Image Editing or CD Burning software has a freaking kitchen sink sticking out of the box!

I am so sick of Windows being slowed to a crawl because you put a CD in, and it's always, "What should I do end user? You want me to open it, you want me to play it, you want to run this or that on it, you want to burn a CD? Yea, I want you to accept a CD and shut the HELL up! I don't want a 10 second delay where the OS tries to figure out what it should do. I have a novel idea... I'll TELL you what to do! In the time it takes for the pause in the system I could do that! Now I know, you can set the "default action" but it never seems to shut Windows up, and there is still the pause where it checks and sees that it shouldn't do anything. Vista will probably have a feature that the computer pops up and says, "Are you sure you don't want to do anything? Because I can do everything... half-assed".

They leave that part out though, don't they... that it does everything, but does it half-assed. I riped on NERO, but at least they have individual programs for many of the extra crap (at least in version 6.6 - version 7 I tried and I just said forget it).

How about the image editing program that takes a day and a half to open because it is so bloated. I am not talking about Photoshop here. I expect a pro grade image editing program to have it all. I am talking about neededing a small program just for viewing files. Thank GOD I got MS though buddy. THey took care of that with the MS Office picture manager and Windows Picture and Fax Viewer. Whew, took that load off my mind (now if it could just copy out of the.... j/k).

So that's my diatribe on simplicity in the industry. Maybe if MS simplified it's OS like Apple, and offered one or two varieties, and kept the price down ($150 or less), I could almost feel sorry for the multi-billionaire (who stole all of his ideas anyway) when he's carrying a viginia ham under one arm, and a butterball turkey under the other, singing the blues that he ain't got no bread.

Now I finally circled back to where we started... the incredible cost of Vista Aero Ultimate or whatever it's called when it is released. Oh the money lost to piracy, it brings a tear to my eye matey.

cfisherrktk

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
My silly little take on things..
The cost: It cost that much because they’ll get it; I’m sure they did a market study to determine cost. A lot won’t transition right away, but come on… eventually you will. Who still uses DOS, Windows Workgroups 3.11, and Win’95. They worked too, but your latest software won’t run on those operating systems. You may not need it right away, but eventually you will. Vista will replace XP whether you like it or not. Can they offer it cheaper? Probably, but why? They know you’ll have to buy it eventually anyway. I’m just glad they aren’t charging a grand for it; They probably aren’t simply because that would lose the entire “low/fixed-income” market since hardware has become affordable… Right now, all they need to sell you on is why you should do this today versus tomorrow. It's not of question of whether you will transition, it's when you will....

Pirating: Look around… people are pirating $15-20 dollar movies/cd’s down to $1.50 mp3's, so an entire OS regardless of price is gonna get copied illegally. They are making it tougher to do so, and I don’t have an issue with that… it’s not like the police are going to come to their rescue and stop it.

The bloated garbage: I really wish software engineers would wake up and realize that there are different levels of expertise. Software seems to be designed around people who’ve never touched a computer. That’s fine, because there are still folks like that. But a lot of people aren’t like that and get annoyed when their computer thinks it’s smarter than us. Stop making the machine guess at what I want to do next for I already know and your guessing is just slowing it up. They need to figure out how to deal with all the different kinds of users out there without defaulting to the new users.

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
Pirating: Look around… people are pirating $15-20 dollar movies/cd’s down to $1.50 mp3's, so an entire OS regardless of price is gonna get copied illegally.

Good point.

I guess I was looking at it from the standpoint of what "I" think the average person was willing to pay, and I should remember that this is what "I" would be willing to pay. Unless they made it all $99 everyone still is going to try to get it for free... thank God.

mikeyp410

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
The best way to get a OS is to still buy a computer with it. The only problem with that is you have to strip it when you get it becuase of all the junk they package in with it.

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
Yea, they get extra money from those guys to offset the cheap computer cost. I leave it vanilla so there isn't 80 icons and 100 gigs of total crap on the system.

I wonder how much DELL pays for an OS? I have seen on the internet where you can buy DELL branded OS's for like $115 for XP Pro.

mikeyp410

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
Ya I think they get a OEM cost but they dont have the OEM crap that comes along with it. Plus they get it at even a cheaper cost since they buy mass licenses so im thinking around 40 bucks a install. They can sell these PC's so cheap because of all the advertising that they have, hence the crap that they put in there. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.