A fiesta with VISTA with the KillerNotebooks Wakizachi

Status
Not open for further replies.

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006

Vista Beta 2 installed last night on a Wakizachi. One word... WOW!

Visually, this OS is awesome. No problems with drivers at all as far as working, although Vista is telling me my performance is suffering due to driver updates that are needed (because I am using XP variants). Right now, I am not worried about it. I am just glad everything functions as it should without ANY hassles!

Couple things: Vista includes a "performance utility" that you can see the things that are slowing your computer down. It said for me that the drivers were slowing down windows and effecting my score. I wanted to point out a few of the ratings here (in this image):
* T2500 2.0 Ghz Core Duo receives the highest 5 / 5 rating, ok that's fine.
* 2.0 GB memory recevies a 4.4 rating, that should tell you how much of a pig this OS is.
* 100 Gig 7,200 rpm hard drive receives a 3.6 rating? Ok, it is only the largest 7,200 rpm notebook drive you can get! I understand this is just a dumb calculation, but it is my worst score!
* x1600 GPU receives a 4.0 out of 5. Wow, what a GPU hog! Should show you why integrated graphics machines are being blown out at bargain basement prices.
* 256 Video Graphic Memory only receives a 4.6 rating also! Wow! (see note above)

Interestingly enough, this produces a performance rating of 3? I guess the driver issue is bringing me down more than I though. Obviously it isn't geared toward notebooks, but since people can think outside of Microsofts silly algorithm, you can see that the Wakizachi is 100% Vista Aero ready!

I like the new updates, and can't wait until it's out. I would be interested to know a pricing model for Vista though. I have read $99, which is pretty reasonable I think. More than that is just lining MS's already fat pockets.

vista_wakizachi.jpg

HardWareBoss

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2003
The Ultimate is $499 for what I've heard. It's supposed to be the best for gaming. But that's alot of $$$$$$ Nice to see it works on your Laptop. It is a resource hog. From what I've heard.

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
$499!!!

Hey, I wonder why hackers pirate the OS? I mean I really can't figure it out. This is such a mystery.

Hard to feel sorry for these guys with yaghts with 2 helicopters and a mini-submarine on them when they do get pirated when they are just ripping people off wholesale! Well, maybe prices like that will get the Linux movement in gear and optimize that more for gamers. The world needs an alternative to being ripped off! Sun Open Office 2.0 baby, just as good as MS and FREE!

I am SURE AS HELL not spending $499 on an OS when I can spend $499 on a freaking Sony PS3!!! Cheese! These guys never learn!

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
What I don't get is the OS he stole everything from to begin with... OS X is $99.

Why do they thing anyone is going to pay $499 for an OS? It's crazy talk.

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
Have had a chance to use the $499 Vista Aero Ultimate Interface for about a week, and my first impressions was, "It looks really cool".

Now that I have had it for a while, I feel securitied to death. Every cotten pickin' thing the OS stops and asks you if it's safe. I'm sure you can turn it off, but like all Microsfot products... where? See, we have to change all the crap around too to make it better. So now you have to crawl around to find everything all over again.

What you ask is all this security about? More importantly, what does it do? We all got the imfamous service pack 2 update, with all the added "security features", that we all turned off because it was so annoying, and blocked only stuff that we wanted to see, and did little to combat other problems from malicous jerks out there trying to hijack systems with spyware, malware, howare and whatever else.

Imagine that, but with everything. Yea, every part of the OS. Hold the presses, you want to connect to a wireless network, "Oh my God is this safe user, tell me please or we can't do anything with the OS", want to install a freaking game? "Is this ok? I need to stop everything in the system now because you are running an install from a CD", oh by the way, since you put that CD in, let me stop the OS altogether again and "Should I really run autorun on this CD, is it safe mr user." "Oh mr. user, aren't I a good operating system, I blocked the nasty pop up from freaking Yahoo games site. Like MS can't have 1 technician take 1 day figure out the 100 sites that are safe and we know it." How about when I am playing a game, and close it, and the OS has to freak out and say the game stoped responding, even though I just closed it." ANNOYING!

The OS itself, Aero Glass... not at all akin to MAC Aqua, oh wait, I mean, exactly like it, and by exactly, I mean stolen all the way down to the freaking play on an element name.

MAC's is not water... it's AQUA. "How do we steal pretty much all of that idea?"
"Oh I know, let's call ours GLASS."
"Not enough, we have to have it something like an element, that's what Apple has."
"How about, Air?"
"Yea, I like that, but we can't call it air... what's MAC's called again?"
"Oh ok, I see; how about... AERO."
"Yea, AERO, that's good. WHat's the MAC OS cost? $125? Oh we can't do that. We only have the economy of scale of 90% of EVERY computer in the world... how about $99 for the crappy version, but then we can have a "good version" for $499."
"I like it. But I have even a better idea... Let's integrate the OS into every freaking thing in the world. THe browser, the CD burning, the television, the spyware, the security. Then when we drive everyone out of business and are the only game in town, we can charge whatever we want for the OS."
"Splended my good man. Have you been on my 300 foot long yaght wih the 2 ski boats, 2 helicopter pads, and the mini-sub?"
"Not yet sir, we're busy deciding how the knaves are going to afford $499 for an OS, we are working on a financing plan."
"Jolly good, and add more security to the thing while you're at it."

Microsoft has stolen every last part of the MAC OS visually, and mated it to the most complex and confusing overbearing security system known to man. The theft is complete, save for the one element that was bolted down and couldn't be carried off in the night. Yes, Microsoft was unable to steal the simplicity.

mikeyp410

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
I think the majority of people will stick to XP or just buy store boxes and fix them to their liking. MUCH cheaper. Ya figure you can get a retail copy of XP pro (can do anything with according to Microsux) for what 299? or you can buy a XP pro box at a local best buy for what 700$? Why not just buy the box and upgrade what you can. Allot cheaper if you ask me. Although i truly hate stripping store boxes down.

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
That's a real good point.

Those guys that do themes with "Window Blinds" and the other skinning programs are really talented.

I just looked it up, check this out: Clear XP skin.
t5751.jpg

Here's a couple more:
Royle Vista WB
Aero Vista XP

That to me looks pretty cool, it's pretty much Vista's look give or take. The ONLY thing I can see is, for 32 bit you are 150% right. What's the point of upgrading at that price? 64 bit, again, the price is ridiculous, but I am thinking that is why MicroStiff all but ceased development of XP Pro. They didn't want a viable alternative.

The other point that MS has going for them is that DX10. It supposedly can't be run on XP.

mikeyp410

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
Well that is what they have always done. They love to nickle and dime you. I beleive in making a dollar for what you have to offer but these guys take it to the extreme. Take for example the stupid guinuine advantage. What a crock of crap that is. I mean you make how much money and you are that worried about piracy? GIMME A BREAK!!! All to make what and extra million?? It has just gone too far.

gs191

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
Wow, who will actually spend $499 for the full retail package when you can probably get the OEM version for at least half off newegg when they release it.

Anyway, i wouldnt trust the Vista rating scale. I also got the same over all score of 3 when running on lower performing hardware and half the ram.
(1.83Ghz Core Duo, 1GB of DDR2 Ram, 256 MB Radeon 1400X with freakin hypermemory, 60GB 5400rpm HD).

I have yet to try Vista Beta 2 on my old ass AMD Box thats going on 7 next month, the last build I tried was the last CTP build before the public release of Beta 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.