A New Kitchen Workstation Designed for Oldies

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaTrond

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
Love the idea about helping the "silver generation", but I really doubt this would help. I imagine especially people with bad vision would have difficulties with this. To reach the oven plates seems a bit to crooked for an elder to me.

mikeolivera

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010
As a chef and member of the 'silver generation' (I prefer 'Yuppie Emeritus') the Electrolux Kitchen Workstation is a concept that leaves me cold.

HalJordan

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]warezme[/nom]looks like 1/5th of the Star Trek Battle control center[/citation]

So many Star Trek jokes to make...

"Star Fleet unveils LCARS terminals for newly designated star ship USS Lagasse."

smashley

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
Looks pretty cool...that orange racing stripe I think is pretty sharp.. They'll have to tone that down a bit if they want to market it to old folks.

N7SC1

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2007
I'm gonna be 55 late this year, and I find this thing condescending and insulting. Right now my wife and I are renovating our kitchen our selves. I'm making the cabinets and installing the appliances. We are installing a Gaggenau double wall oven, a 6-burner, 42" Miele gas cooktop, Miele hood, and have just bought an Asko dishwasher (the old Kenmore blew up before the work started on the renovations). I also am in the middle of upgrading the electrical service to the house, from 100A, to 200A, myself. If I can do this stuff, then to design the above gadget for those over 60 is a crude swipe at older adults and makes me glad that I did not buy any Electrolux appliances for our kitchen. It also rules out Electrolux when I have to replace our washing machine and dryer.

If you want to see some really neat, non-insulting, kitchen technology, take a look at www.siematic.com. Check out their S1 kitchen technology. They are working with Miele on developing some really cool stuff, and who knows where it will go in the next several year. Can Tom's writers take a look at the S1 and do an article about it? Would love to see it.

bic

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
This thing probably would cost $9,999, of which no one can afford right now. Especially if you are retired or about to retire.

flaminggerbil

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
Although I cant give a particularly valid opinion, what with not being over the age of 60 and all, but I'd rather have a normal cooker and not be treated like I have special needs.

smashley

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
For those who find this insulting, keep in mind it is aimed at people in Singapore (where it appears to have been designed) and other densely populated areas where kitchens are much smaller. My brother's apartment in S. Korea is not much larger than a closet for instance. In a kitchen that size, it is definitely more difficult to bend/crouch to get things in/out of the oven.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
I don't even like it when they combine a DVD player and a TV. When one of them breaks you have to replace both because the repair bill is cost prohibitive. I don't want to have to replace half my kitchen because one module breaks and replacement parts are no longer in production.

G

An oldie would take one look at that and have no idea what the hell to do......

koga73

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2008
i like the oven, how it opens vertically... the only problem is when you have a roast in the oven and the automatic oven door motor goes out. cool design tho!

Peltz

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2008
Indeed that looks so high tech that even young people would have to dig up the manual and read it.

Status
Not open for further replies.