A query about computer speakers, computer signals and static noise.

Wayfall

Honorable
Dec 27, 2013
Hi Community

We currently have Logitech X-140 speakers plugged into are mini home theater pc at home that is plugged into a 4K TV.

When the volume is turn high we can hear slight static humming in the background at quieter moments in Youtube videos and movies which is rather irritating.

I would like to ask do we need to get new speakers or some kind of audio device plugged into the motherboard to isolate the audio signal that is traveling to the speakers as i have heard computer signals on the motherboard can interfere with audio signals. I think its called a sound card right?

We currently have a GTX 970 in the mini pc so the OS is running the HD audio that came with its drivers.

What is your opinion on how to go about removing the static background noise?

Regards

Solution
If you have the money to get a dedicated audio card it MIGHT help.

but in my OPINION - the weak link here is your choice of speakers. They are cheap, and they produce cheap sound, they will have low quality noise filtering (if they have any at all). Look into some of the ones I linked above. Your money may be better spent there.

And lastly - i would plug your speakers directly into the audio jack in the back of your PC. This will give you the best shielding from noise without having to spend anything extra. The more 'things' you have connected between your PC and your speakers the more noise you will get.

kittle

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
try re-seating your connections. just un plug and plug things back in to make sure they are secure.

Then do what @scout_03 suggested. Trace the wires that go from your PC to the speaker and make sure they do not run parallel to any power wires -- even for a little bit. If they must cross, then make sure the crossing is at a right angle.

If that doesnt work, then try some headphones. plug the headphones into the same plug in the back of your PC as your speakers. If you still hear the static sounds, then the problem is NOT with your speakers. If the static is gone, then the problem is with your speakers and their connections.

Another thing you can try is to adjust the volume levels. Turn Down the volume on your speakers, and turn UP the volume on your PC. This will help make any static thats picked up less noticeable.

lastly -- after looking up the specs on your speakers -- they are not very powerful, so chances are you have to turn the volume way up in order to hear things, so a better set of speakers will help. Something like one of these
https://www.amazon.com/Mackie-CR-CR3-Reference-Multimedia/dp/B00KVEIY4E
https://www.amazon.com/Edifier-R1280T-Powered-Bookshelf-Speakers/dp/B016P9HJIA

Wayfall

Honorable
Dec 27, 2013
Well the speakers are plugged into the back of the TV where the power cord is and both are plugged into the wall socket next to each other.
My wires are all managed perfectly and very neatly.

Could i get a more detailed reply please (mostly meaning the first poster), not to be rude or anything. Its must be something to do with the speakers as i have even experienced this using cheap stereos in the past.

kittle

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
well "cheap" stereos and amplifiers will have a lot more hiss and static in their output, especially when the volume is turned up. They key is to find ways not to turn them up so far. The higher quality ones will have less hiss and static.

For your speaker cables -- there will be a power wire (goes into the wall) and an audio wire (goes into your PC). the audio wire is the one that will pick up noise from adjacent power wires.

as to cable placement, we would need to see (several) pics of your current cable layout in order to suggest more.

PC are known to be noisy. Ideally you want to have a PC Digital hookup then have a Receiver do the digital to analog conversion.

To discount whether the speakers are the culprit, obviously swap things around, try another speakers, use same speaker somewhere else to find out.

Wayfall

Honorable
Dec 27, 2013
Hiya

Just wanted to add that i have been trying out all my audio sockets so:

-Monitor socket which i have my speakers plugged into and these speakers also have a audio jack on them. If i plugged my earphones into the monitor i get slight static but if i plug my earphones into the speakers that are plugged into the monitor i get high static but speakers on their own don't make much static unless the volume is max which i never do. (Nvidia HD Audio)
Front tower socket has static (Realtek HD Audio)
Motherboard IO socket doesn't have static but i hear the most quitest click/crackling noise now and then and i'm talking super quiet (Realtek HD Audio)

Should i just get a sound card so i can isolate the audio completely from system?

kittle

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
If you have the money to get a dedicated audio card it MIGHT help.

but in my OPINION - the weak link here is your choice of speakers. They are cheap, and they produce cheap sound, they will have low quality noise filtering (if they have any at all). Look into some of the ones I linked above. Your money may be better spent there.

And lastly - i would plug your speakers directly into the audio jack in the back of your PC. This will give you the best shielding from noise without having to spend anything extra. The more 'things' you have connected between your PC and your speakers the more noise you will get.

Solution