About to make a purchase for VR. Would you do anything different?

Benjamin_VR

Commendable
Sep 12, 2016
Hello! Seems this forum is filled with questions like these, so I will make mine as short and simple as possible.

I just played ONWARD for the first time over the weekend with my HTC VIVE. It blew me away, and made me realize how badly I need to upgrade my CPU at the same time.

I currently have a sandy bridge i5 -2500K that is running VR pretty okay considering its age, and a GTX 970. So its time for a Motherboard/CPU/Ram upgrade. I will save getting a new GPU for another day.

In the cart:
-ASRock Z170 Pro4S Motherboard
-i7-6700K 8M Skylake (Really wanted to like the i5-6600K due to price, but every frame counts in VR)
-G.SKILL TridentZ 16GB DDR4 3200

I do not plan to overclock, but like to reserve the ability to do so just in case. Would anyone do anything differently with VR in mind? Is the i7 really going to be that much better than the i5 to justify the price?

Thanks for your time.

Solution

If you were running an overclocked i5 2500k, you probably won't see much of a fps difference compared to an i7 6700k.

Benjamin_VR

Commendable
Sep 12, 2016

I should add that my wife is in greater need of a motherboard and CPU as well, so by getting a 6700k system I will be effectively solving her issue by giving her my 2500k. I plan on getting a GPU in the near future, and while it might be true that a new GPU right now will help me more all at once over the CPU, this is what makes the most sense for the both of us at the moment. Do you think I will not see that much of a performance increase in getting the CPU to use with the GTX 970 in the mean time?

Thanks.

Suztera

Estimable
Mar 18, 2014

If you were running an overclocked i5 2500k, you probably won't see much of a fps difference compared to an i7 6700k.

Solution