ac adapter or a bigger issue?

kat8838

Estimable
Nov 25, 2014
I have an Acer Aspire 5560 and the other day I went to charge my battery and it didn't recognize that I had my AC adapter plugged in. I unplugged it (from the wall and computer), tried again, and it worked.

Yesterday, however, when I was charging my battery it was at 98% and then the computer shut off. I rebooted and it started fine, except it again did not recognize the adapter. I tried rebooting, removing the battery, holding down power, etc. And it's still not recognizing it.

The computer works fine with the battery, but won't recognize the adapter at all.

Is this something super simple like replacing the adapter or could there be a bigger issue? I don't have access to another adapter at the moment and don't have another computer to test the adapter on (however, I did notice that when I left it plugged in after just leaving the computer alone for a bit because I was frustrated, that it didn't get warm at all like it usually does)

Thanks in advance for any help!

Solution
I'm almost certain that a new a/c adapter is required after reading your post, but still have nagging doubts because you've been unable to try the adapter on a different laptop, or try a different adapter on your laptop. That's the only way to be confident about the where the problem lies.

Otherwise you just take a gamble and buy a new a/c adapter, but preferably one that's returnable in case that doesn't fix the problem.
I'm almost certain that a new a/c adapter is required after reading your post, but still have nagging doubts because you've been unable to try the adapter on a different laptop, or try a different adapter on your laptop. That's the only way to be confident about the where the problem lies.

Otherwise you just take a gamble and buy a new a/c adapter, but preferably one that's returnable in case that doesn't fix the problem.

Solution