AC adaptor for laptop melted!

iamdrchic

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2008
Hi! I just purchased a compaq presario F577CL. The AC adaptor runs SUPER hot (I tested it with a thermometer). After being plugged in for 12 minutes, it maxed my thermometer out at 112 degrees. HP mailed me a new one, as that one literally melted the cord. The replacement runs just as hot! The battery only holds a 20 minute charge...

I'm not a computer person... but is a 20 minute charge a reasonable charge for a NEW battery? Do laptop AC adaptor/chargers normally run THAT hot?

I think I bought a lemon...

Help!

iamdrchic

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2008
Oh- and HP says the power supply isn't warrantied... WHAT??? They sent me a new AC brick, but neglected to send the 2nd half of the power source- the part that plugs into the wall. So I'm having to use the plug end of the old power source (the one that melted!)... when it could be THAT end of the power cord that is faulty.

UGH. I'm so NOT a computer person.

cjl

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
20 mins?

That's ridiculous, even the most power hungry monster laptops should get at least an hour. Yours should be getting more like 2 hours or so, minimum.

Something is seriously wrong. Try removing the battery and powering it from the wall, and see if it still gets just as hot.

iamdrchic

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2008
I contacted HP... they sent me a new battery. However, the AC adaptor is still running really hot. I had a different thermometer and checked it got up to 120 degrees!!

cjl

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
Is it still running hot with the battery disconnected?

(you can run the computer with no battery as long as it is plugged into the wall)

customisbetter

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2008
120 is not out of the ordinary for a power brick. 120 isn't really that hot, it can't burn anything but to humans it feels "burning". Mine is about 100 right now. If it actually melted a cable then you are way above 120.

O Crap! you probably mean Celsius! That is really hot!!! Take that thing back before you burn down your house.

frozenlead

Distinguished
either that, or when you use it slap some heatsinks on that thing...
there's no way anything should melt. at all.

but, try running without the battery, as stated, and see if it gives you the same issue.
my guess is your battery is severely shorted or damaged.

iamdrchic

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2008
Thanks for all your advice!!

I got a new battery and AC adaptor, free of charge, from HP... but the AC brick is still running hot. But, the new battery holds a decent charge.

I guess I can't expect too much... I got a great deal on the laptop. It was the floor model, had a price of $799 and they marked it down to $450! Plus, they gave me a $150 gift card!

:)