Accidentally deleted NVIDIA Driver from device manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

Votbear

Estimable
Feb 9, 2014
Hello,

I "accidentally" uninstalled my NVIDIA GeForce 720M driver from my device manager when I tried to reinstall the driver. Now it no longer shows up on the device manager at all, and I cannot install any driver since the laptop does not detect it anymore.

I am running Windows 8.1 64bit on a Lenovo ideapad s410p laptop. I've tried using the bios startup but to no avail, the only graphics driver detected is the intel one. And since I'm using a laptop, re-plugging in the graphics card is not really a feasible option either...

System restore does not work (The oldest backup, somehow, is AFTER the uninstallation), and I really do not want to resort to factory reset...

And of course, before the uninstallation, the driver worked just fine.

Please help, I have no idea what else to do at this point. Thank you in advance..

Votbear

Estimable
Feb 9, 2014

I cannot install the driver, as the laptop does not even detect the GPU.

My problem is that I idiotically uninstalled it from device manager and now I have no idea how to get my PC to recognize it again... System restore is not an option, not even the oldest backup point fixes the problem... And I don't see any PCI-something options on my BIOS Setup either...

vince232

Honorable
Aug 6, 2013
hm if it literally cant read the gpu maybe your board has a problem. do you know which driver to download or you just let the website detect your gpu then recommend a driver?

Votbear

Estimable
Feb 9, 2014

I know which driver I need and I have it downloaded, but the problem is that installing causes an error cause my laptop simply does not detect that it has the GPU.
Neither auto-detect, geforce express nor manual installing works simply because of this... And I can confirm it's not a hardware problem, it's because I accidentally uninstalled it and I have no idea how to get the laptop to re-detect that it has a GPU plugged...

Votbear

Estimable
Feb 9, 2014
To perhaps make it clearer, I'm looking for a way to force the laptop to re-detect the GPU driver again.

-System recovery is not an option. None of the recovery points are old enough, for some reason...
-Some other threads mentioned plugging in the GPU again, but that would be unfeasible to do on a laptop...

Please help... I have searched everywhere and nothing helped.

Votbear

Estimable
Feb 9, 2014

Didn't work, apparently... The driver lenovo provided is similar to the one from nvidia, which means it won't work if the laptop doesn't detect the GPU.

If all else fails, I guess I am going to resort to factory resets... But do you think it will solve the problem? I really don't like the idea of deleting all my data and yet the problem persists...

vince232

Honorable
Aug 6, 2013

better go with a real technician first. before you restore factory settings. if you can try to clear cmos

Votbear

Estimable
Feb 9, 2014

Well I just used onekey recovery to do a full factory reset and it STILL does not detect the nvidia graphics card.

I have no idea what to do anymore...

Kkkk1

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006

Very strange.
Try going into Safe mode, I don't think the F8 key works in Win8 you have to go to PC settings from windows and restart in safe mode. Then uninstall the intel driver. reboot back into Windows and see if it detects your Nvidia GPU. If it doesn't then go into device manage and click on the video driver. Then click on the Action menu and click on "Scan for hardware changes". Are you sure you downloaded the correct driver? You might need to download the mobile version of the GPU?

albinagh

Estimable
May 23, 2014
You've probably solved your issue by now but it just happened to me as well. I went into the device manager and insturcted it to find hardware changes...took a while but it reinstalled my display adapter.

marcusj0nes

Estimable
Jun 13, 2015
really dont know what to do anymore i scanned for hardware changes a billions times and it wont pop up i tried almost everything and my 745m will not detect at all any other methods?

jjesp

Estimable
Dec 19, 2015

Done that. Still no Nvidia in the device manager... The drivers installs just fine. But Win10 can't see the card. Win8 did....

Great Christian

Estimable
Dec 22, 2015
Hey! I had the same problem... I opened up Device Manager browsed and found that my GPU had appeared in the "Other devices" section named 3D Video Controller. I right-clicked > Properties > Driver tab > Update driver > Search automatically for updated driver software. So it automatically downloaded the correct driver for me and updated. After that my videocard with its full name and model appeared in Device Manager under the Display adapters and I had to restart my comp and it worked again! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.