Solved! Accidentally Touched 2 Pins of Power Connector

Oct 26, 2020
I was testing the power connector on the motherboard of my laptop using a multimeter.
It showed the same voltage as the power adapter at first.
And then I accidentally touched 2 pins on it together. There was a small spark come out of those pins.
Suddenly the power reads no voltage at all, both on the power connector and the power adapter.
Did I just break both the power connector and the power adapter (or maybe the whole board)?

Solution
Yeah, the laptop can't be powered on before this happened. So, I don't think it can be magically turned on. I made it worse. I just want to know whether the power connector (or some other parts of, or maybe the whole, board) was broken by this.
I can confirm that the power adapter is not working at all as the multimeter does not read anything from it.

It sounds VERY likely you blew a fuse. Only a fuse if your lucky. And seeing it was the same voltage as the Power Supply,You may just need a new AC to DC power supply. Check the Wall adapter by itself, if dead, replace it, though if you can pull it apart, it just may be the adapters fuse. I have repaired a few of those with bad fuses. But they are hell to get apart, as they are...
Oct 26, 2020
I just realized that this post was really a continuation of another thread where you were not getting any power to begin with. What I was referring to was to put things back together and try turning on the laptop. Guess my suggestion won't work.
Yeah, the laptop can't be powered on before this happened. So, I don't think it can be magically turned on. I made it worse. I just want to know whether the power connector (or some other parts of, or maybe the whole, board) was broken by this.
I can confirm that the power adapter is not working at all as the multimeter does not read anything from it.

BEAUFORD_SAVAGE

Respectable
Sep 6, 2020

It sounds VERY likely you blew a fuse. Only a fuse if your lucky. And seeing it was the same voltage as the Power Supply,You may just need a new AC to DC power supply. Check the Wall adapter by itself, if dead, replace it, though if you can pull it apart, it just may be the adapters fuse. I have repaired a few of those with bad fuses. But they are hell to get apart, as they are glued together.
Get a Power Supply off E-bay if it is dead.

Solution
Oct 26, 2020
It sounds VERY likely you blew a fuse. Only a fuse if your lucky. And seeing it was the same voltage as the Power Supply,You may just need a new AC to DC power supply. Check the Wall adapter by itself, if dead, replace it, though if you can pull it apart, it just may be the adapters fuse. I have repaired a few of those with bad fuses. But they are hell to get apart, as they are glued together.
Get a Power Supply off E-bay if it is dead.
Does that mean there were nothing broken on the board side and it only affects the power adapter?

BEAUFORD_SAVAGE

Respectable
Sep 6, 2020
No guarantees on that, but the power was coming from the external supply, not the battery, and you were right at the external supply connector when u shorted, right? So I think good chance you got lucky.
Still, get the supply or fix it, (fuse) , then leave the battery out to see if the computer runs right off the supply alone.
If it does, then you probably have a bad battery as well. (sucks current but won't charge).