Account phishing attempt should i be worried?

gussrtk

Honorable
Dec 14, 2012
I know this is not the right section, but i also don't see where to post it. sorry.

So i've got an e-mail, from paypal, saying that there has been a charge made to my account. It all looked fairly legit.... Then at the bottom there was a link to click, IF YOU DID NOT MAKE THIS PURCHASE PLEASE ADVISE US, along those lines. It brought me to a website, right away I saw that the website was NOT secure, and my email was not saved as usual.

I did not "log in". Should I be worried about anything just by clicking the link?

Solution
Whenever I get something from eBay or Paypal, I never use a link in the email and go directly to the website itself and see if anything is going on with my account. 99% of the time it has been a scam attempt and I submitted the email to them. There was 1 time that it was a legit email though. Easiest way to spot a scam is that Paypal will always start the message by using your full name and never "valued customer" or some other garbage.

gussrtk

Honorable
Dec 14, 2012

alright.

Well, I assume that since I did NOT enter any information into the provided link that I should be okay in that sense? (was doing a little bit of research on that)

gussrtk

Honorable
Dec 14, 2012

I just put up AVG, it's got a 30day trial on full version, Meaning, antivirus/Malware scan. Found 5 threats.

Malsign x2
Trojan

Fun thing is that the file origins are from the backups that I made a few days ago from my old hard drives.

Martell1977

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010

To be sure, you could run a malware scan on the computer and make sure nothing was able to sneak in. Malwarebytes or Trendmicro's Housecall are good for that.

gussrtk

Honorable
Dec 14, 2012

thanks, I was looking for where to report it

gussrtk

Honorable
Dec 14, 2012
I had just reinstalled and basically reworked my system to bring it up to speed lets say, Haven't even gotten to any programs for anti-virus/malware, wasn't in a hurry since I havent had any issues in the past.. but yeah.. It takes the one time

Martell1977

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010
Whenever I get something from eBay or Paypal, I never use a link in the email and go directly to the website itself and see if anything is going on with my account. 99% of the time it has been a scam attempt and I submitted the email to them. There was 1 time that it was a legit email though. Easiest way to spot a scam is that Paypal will always start the message by using your full name and never "valued customer" or some other garbage.

Solution

FPS-fan

Commendable
Oct 30, 2016
Sounds phishy to me. Any email that prompts you to click an included link and then log-on is considered a no-no. This being done now, however, at least you haven't compounded the matter by giving them your password through their log-in. If you're worried about your Paypal account, log in through the Paypal website portal and have a look at you purchases. If you see anything sinister, you could then contact Paypal and ask them to take a look.

gussrtk

Honorable
Dec 14, 2012

hmmm thanks!

would you say there is anything else I could do to ensure my information is safe?

Actions Taken:

AVG Deep system scan + AVG has now locked my browser in it's service.
Did NOT enter information on the link.
Reported the Attempt to the email you gave me

Martell1977

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010

Just to be safe you could change your email and Paypal passwords. This is a good idea to do regularly, but in this case, it can't hurt. I change mine about every 2 months.