Acer Aspire 4935 runs on Ubuntu, fails on Windows

hkri

Estimable
May 26, 2015
My Acer Aspire 4935 suddenly shuts down when loading Windows 7 (during boot screen, before dots can even form the Windows logo) but loads and runs Ubuntu normally.

It's not a virus issue because Windows 7 was freshly installed some time ago (I haven't used my laptop for months). I also tried loading it through Safe Mode, but to no avail. BIOS was latest version for the unit provided by Acer support -- Insyde H20 v1.08.

I tried to install Windows 8 in the unit through USB bootable, but just like Windows 7, laptop shut down suddenly on the boot screen and failed to reach the setup screen. No errors, BSOD, whatsoever.

There is an issue on the fan though, sometimes it doesn't circulate smoothly and produces grinding sound. Computer shuts down due to overheating problems due to faulty fan, but this isn't the case here. Laptop is not warm when I booted Windows, and Ubuntu runs normally and without any problems, and the fan was running fine.

What could be the issue here? I hope someone could help me. Thanks in advance.

Solution
Hey there, hkri.

I'd recommend that you take the drive out if your laptop is out of warranty and connect it to another computer - either externally via a SATA to USB cable, docking station, external enclosure or internally via a SATA connection. Then download the HDD manufacturer's diagnostic tool and test the drive with it in order to find out if there are any errors or bad sectors.
Having in mind the computer has fan and thus - overheating issues it would be best to take it to a service shop and get full diagnostic analysis.

Hope that helps.
Boogieman_WD

Boogieman_WD

Estimable
Jul 31, 2014
Hey there, hkri.

I'd recommend that you take the drive out if your laptop is out of warranty and connect it to another computer - either externally via a SATA to USB cable, docking station, external enclosure or internally via a SATA connection. Then download the HDD manufacturer's diagnostic tool and test the drive with it in order to find out if there are any errors or bad sectors.
Having in mind the computer has fan and thus - overheating issues it would be best to take it to a service shop and get full diagnostic analysis.

Hope that helps.
Boogieman_WD

Solution

hkri

Estimable
May 26, 2015

Hello, Boogieman_WD.

I took my laptop to a service center and no problems were found regarding the HDD. They found a faulty component in the motherboard; there is some chip that causes short-circuit or whatsoever which triggers a force shutdown to the system.

Nonetheless, the fan was also fixed.

I appreciate your solution. Thank you very much.