Acer Aspire 7551 Laptop/Linux Mint Update/Factory Settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

serialpara

Estimable
Feb 25, 2015
I have a Acer Aspire 7551 laptop, its originally Windows 7 but after I updated it to Linux Mint something went wrong with the installation and now everytime I start my laptop up it tells me "Cinnamon just crashed. You are currently running in Fallback Mode." When I start it up to press F12 the menu for a "GNU GRUB version 2.00-13ubuntu3" comes up. I want to reset my laptop back to factory settings but the only options that come up are;
1.Linux Mint 15 Cinnamon 64-bit, 3.8,0-19-generic (/dev/sdal)
2. Linux Mint 15 Cinnamon 64-bit, 3.8,0-19-generic (/dev/sdal) -- recovery mode
OPTIONS:
Resume (Resume Normal Boot)
Clean (Try To Make Free Space)
DPKG (Repair Broken Packages)
FSCK (Check All File Systems)
GRUB (Network)
Root (Drop To Root Shell Prompt)
System-Summary (System Summary)
{Keep in mind I've already discovered all these options none of them actually reset the whole computer to factory settings}
3. Memory test (memtest86+)
4. Memory test (memtest86+ serial console 11520)
I figure there has to be more hidden options, I need to know how to reset the whole thing back to factory settings. Also back to Windows 7. It seems that the Linux Mint update messed with my entire laptop settings, erasing Windows 7 and now the original recovery options are not there. I do not have a backup CD. If you strongly recommend one, please leave the information of it and where I may be able to find it down below. Thank you for your time!! :pt1cable:
Also all internet connection options have been erased since this. :ouch:

Solution
Not likely. Installation of the Linux OS may have either erased the Windows partition or damaged the boot partition for windows. You can run Gparted and see what partitions are still there.

Try starting it up and pressing either F8 or Shift+F8 until the advanced boot menu options for the unit come up and if they do we can from there or try the Gparted application to see if the windows partitions are even still present.

http://gparted.org/
Not likely. Installation of the Linux OS may have either erased the Windows partition or damaged the boot partition for windows. You can run Gparted and see what partitions are still there.

Try starting it up and pressing either F8 or Shift+F8 until the advanced boot menu options for the unit come up and if they do we can from there or try the Gparted application to see if the windows partitions are even still present.

http://gparted.org/

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.